Looking for calipers under 100$

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Bigeclipse, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Bigeclipse

Bigeclipse Well-Known Member

when I first purchased calipers for reloading, I got a budget set from Harbour Freight. The appeared to work but recently they started giving me erratic numbers and not holding zero. I have now lost faith in them. I am not an extreme reloader so I do not need to spend hundreds of dollars on the most accurate reading ones. Just looking for ones I can have faith in to give me decently accurate readings. Budget is under 100$. Any and all opinions please!

2. bigedp51

bigedp51 Well-Known Member

newmexkid, bob4 and lancetkenyon like this.
  3. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

Big, my preference is the manual caliper. I have a expensive digital, but it eats batteries and it seems to need replacement at the worst time. My Starrett manual caliper which I found at a garage sale, is very reliably accurate. I've seen Starrett manual caliper on the net for under $100.

predator 22 likes this.
  4. Elkeater

Elkeater Well-Known Member

I have a Hornady caliper that I think was like $50 that seems to work well

5. bob4

bob4 Well-Known Member

6. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

I used a Harbor Freight for a few years. I ordered an iGaging EZ Cal for $25 shipped on Ebay. Very nice quality, very consistent, and still reasonable priced.

7. ShtrRdy

ShtrRdy Well-Known Member

On tools, the way I look at it is if you buy something well made it will last a lifetime. Many years ago I bought a used analog Starrett. It was probably made in the 70's or 80's. It is so reliable to use.

8. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

My favorite caliper is a Starrett 120A-6. New ones are about $200. You can find used ones on ebay for less.

9. Gwine

Gwine Well-Known Member

I have a Dillon analog that I bought in the 90's still works great. I do have a digital, but I prefer the analog for most reloading tasks. I can set the pointer for my desired dimension and can tell at a glance +/-discrepancies.

10. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member

I have one of those black faced Brown & Sharpe 6" Dial type and they work
    fine..And have for many years..

11. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

12. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member

I have a brand new Mitutoyo never had the battery installed plastic box and paper work
    battery..everything..I'll sell for 100 bucks If you are interested I'll go get the model number..

13. iowaelkbum

iowaelkbum Well-Known Member

Mitutoyo is my first pick. As already mentioned Starrett are also nice. Either will last a lifetime with proper care.

14. jrock

jrock Well-Known Member

If an electronic one is giving bad values, put in a new battery. Sometimes on low power, they don't work. Take the battery out when not in use and they last years.

I use one of Frankfort Arsenal's digitals. Worked well for about 5 years until the off button stopped working. I classify that caliper set as +-.001. I look for calipers in the $50 range and wait for a good sale to get them. Got my last one from Shars for <$20 on sale.

I use micrometers for case dimensions and finishing passes on the machines. Precise micrometers can be had cheaper than precise calipers.