Types (brands) of ammunition everyone prefers

Whitewolf393

OK, turning to my fellow community of experts, I was just curious if there is a brand of ammunition that everyone seems to prefer over another (e.g., Federal, Remington, Winchester). I intend to be hunting for a variety of game here in Virginia (whitetail deer, black bear, grouse, rabbit, quail, ducks, geese) with 30-06 rifle & 12GA shotgun, and instead of buying 87 different companies' ammunition, is there a brand that everyone, or most, seem to prefer that works comparably better than others? I'm certainly not singling out anyone spokespeople out there, but I'm just trying to get some opinions, more than anything. As far as rifle, at least 30-06, I've found the Remington Core-Lokt to work very well as compared to the Winchester Ballistic Tip.

Thanks for your help, as always, and good hunting to us all!

-WW

Well...
The wife uses winchester for her upland game loads in her 20 guage and I have been fairly happy with Kent faststeel for ducks. .22 ammo is often whatever is cheapest except for my son. We get him good but reasonably priced winchester ammo so that his trigger time gives him good feedback. Our defensive pistols carry Federal Hydrashok and the bedside shotgun is loaded with Remington 00 Buck.

Everything else is handloads. Can't imagine it any other way.

Doves – Federal express 20 ga 3 " 1 1/4oz 7 ½ frequently make 60+ yd shots, I get a discount by the case.

Geese- 12 ga 3 ½ " Rem. Hevi-shot #2 Max load Round trip gas costs $50 dollars and often there are no geese. When there are geese and I pull the trigger I get 'em with that load. At $2.00 a shell, it is a wise investment considering the cost of getting there.

Turkey –Hevi-shot #4, or #5 same thoughts as geese. I am lucky to get one shot a year so what is $2.00 compared to $200 - $300 for gas over the spring season. Put it another way, I still have most of two boxes of shells (10 per box) that I bought 4 years ago.

As far as rifle bullet componenets, I get bored and change bullets and have no brand loyalty. Just what ever strikes my feeble mind as interesting.

Whitewolf393,

The only two factory loads I've ever shot in my 30-06 were also core lokt's and ballistic silvertips. In my Rem 700 the core lokt's grouped better, and being half the cost was just a bonus. In my cousins Mossberg bolt action, it was just the opposite. (Worked out pretty well cause he took what was left of my silvertips in exchange for his core-lokts.) Both bullets should perform on your game so go with what shoots best. Also, I'd say to figure out what kind of accuracy your looking for, and stop when you get it. You could try, as you mentioned, every load on the market, but it would be expensive and time consuming, and there's a good chance you'd only improve your groups a couple tenth's.

As far as shot shells, I have enough Remington and Federal Turkey Mags stockpiled that at the rate I use them I won't need to buy any for 10 years. For small game I'm not picky and buy what's cheap.

Good luck and good shooting,
Carl

Shotguns - I stand firmly that the best shells you can buy are Federal. I am not into the new Hevi-Shot stuff. Too much money per bang for this country boy.

22s - I have to go with the cheapest brick at the local gun store, which lately has been PMC Sidewinders. My Ruger 10-22 will goup 10 shots under 0.5" at 50 yards. They do have a funny smell from the residue of firing them.

Factory Rifles - Each rifle is its own animal. For 30-06, most I have shot prefered the Rem Core-Lokts. I have also had really good luck with Fail Safes in the '06. I tried some Trophy Bonded ammo from Federal, but my 30-06 carbine does not like them or anybody else's factory ammo. If you were going to start out from scratch, I would only buy three or four boxes and be done with it. Get some 150 and 165 Core-Lokts and Federal Fusion 150 and 165.

If you wanted a premium hunting bullet, Remington loads up Sciroccos, Winchester loads Nosler Accubonds and Federal loads Noslers, Barnes, Trophy Bonded and some Sierra bullets.

I think you all for the valuable info, as always. For my 30-06 I think I'll go with a box of Remington Core-Lokts in 150gr and a box of Federal Nosler Ballistic Tips also in 150gr, and shoot and compare them both. As far as the rest of it, I was impressed with what Federal had to offer as far as shotshell loads for small game, upland and waterfowl as well, so I think I'll check them out and see how they shoot.

Buffalo Bob, let's go shooting or hunting sometime! Glad to see you're still on the airwaves.

-WW

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.