Tripod reccomendations?

Winny94

I'm looking for some reccomendations for a tripod. Used sitting, jneeling, or in a tree stand. No standing or prone. I'd like to keep it under $100. Any thoughts?

I just got a Primos Tripod for use in tree stand and sitting. It is trigger actuated for quick adjustment. Cabelas had them 25% off. And Midway USA had them on sale last week for cheaper than Cabelas.
The trigger lock action works flawlessly as designed but I've been practicing shooting a heavy recoiling 358 cal. rifle off of it and the legs want to skip quite a bit upon firing. The good part is that the bullet seems to have left the muzzle before the movement has a chance to affect my accuracy.
If you're shooting a 243 Winchester or something the recoil movement might be very minimal.

Since my post I've been thinking about the movement and I just realized that I have been shooting in gravel!!! lightbulb
I'll practice in grass tomorrow and report back.

I have both models of the Primo's Trigger Sticks II Tripod for sitting, kneeling, as well as standing shooting and love them.

I did nearly all of my shooting in Africa off of the taller version and it was absolutely invaluable.

I flat blew two shots I should have made on the one time we left the truck without it and I had to rely in the PH's home made sticks made of something resembling bamboo.

They were terribly weak and wobbly and would not bite on rock so there was just no way to really get a sure and steady rest out of them.

Conversely I never missed a shot shooting off of the Primo's sticks.

I haven't done so yet but I've looked at trying to find a way to put a ball head on them to use with "the hog saddle" or a similar clamping device to really steady thinks up to make those shots beyond 300yds infinitely more doable.

As is though they are great for what they are intended for.

I have both models of the Primo's Trigger Sticks II Tripod for sitting, kneeling, as well as standing shooting and love them.

I did nearly all of my shooting in Africa off of the taller version and it was absolutely invaluable.

I flat blew two shots I should have made on the one time we left the truck without it and I had to rely in the PH's home made sticks made of something resembling bamboo.

They were terribly weak and wobbly and would not bite on rock so there was just no way to really get a sure and steady rest out of them.

Conversely I never missed a shot shooting off of the Primo's sticks.

I haven't done so yet but I've looked at trying to find a way to put a ball head on them to use with "the hog saddle" or a similar clamping device to really steady thinks up to make those shots beyond 300yds infinitely more doable.

As is though they are great for what they are intended for.

Just curious, what's your shooting technique from the trigger stick? Do you hold the stock or the tripod grip with your left hand?
My shots are more stable during recoil while holding the tripod grip.

Just one more thumbs up for the trigger stick. Used it on a recent hog hunt with great results. I hold the tripod grip. I believe this makes for quick adjustments. I also have A Caldwell that holds both ends of the rifle. I use it when sitting and wanting to shoot at long range. It is heavy and may be out of your price range but it is the next step up from the Primos.

My brother has the Caldwell, it is great to shoot from but we leave it in the blind all season. I definitely would not want to pack it in everyday.
Im shooting on the Trigger stick tripod now as we speak. It seems to shoot more smoothly with a cushion on the rest.( I put a small towel on the rest, my pics won't upload out here in the sticks.)

Just curious, what's your shooting technique from the trigger stick? Do you hold the stock or the tripod grip with your left hand?
My shots are more stable during recoil while holding the tripod grip.
Generally that's how I shoot as well. The rubberized V on them grips the stock pretty well so I can hold the tripod and pull it in a little without slippage and that really seems to help on the steadiness.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.