Tripod for Swaro ATS for mountains.

TimeOnTarget

I'm looking for input as to which tripod i should purchase for an upcoming elk hunt.

My spotter is a Swaro ATS. I use it daily from the house, but i've never actually taken it on a mountain hunt before. I will be packing the spotter with me and probably using it throughout the day for sizing elk. I would like a tripod that i can mount to the scope and leave for the week so im not detaching it re-attaching it every time i want to move or use the scope. Needs to be lightweight.

Point me in the right direction guys.

First, what's your price range? You can easily drop a grand into a tripod+head combo.

I'm afraid to say that I think you'll be attaching and reattaching if you're going to move around. It's the nature of the beast.

In that case look at the Sirui T-1205X carbon fiber for the lightest (1.8 lbs) most portable yet still strong legs. Or the aluminum version T-1005X can be had for half the price (2.2 pounds) . Biggest drawback in my opinion is the twist lock legs and 5 sections. That'll take longer than a 3 section flip lock type.

Or if you plan to pack it in, set it up and glass form your camp all day and not hike around with it, look into the Manfrotto MT055CXPOR3 carbon fiber legs. You can easily leave the scope mounted to this but still move the setup around camp from one side to another with no problem.

As far as heads, get a fluid head, possibly even a video fluid head. I use a Manfrotto MVH500AH head and am very impressed with it. Precise movement and stops on a dime, even in windy days or looking upwards towards stars and such.

Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks Mike,

I certainly don't have a grand to be dropping on a tri-pod. It will be used 1 time per year for 1-2 weeks depending on how long it takes me to find elk. The cheaper the better but I don't want junk either.

I was thinking that id have to be attaching, reattaching as I went but was hoping someone would tell me otherwise.

With these sirui's that you recommend, I have to buy a separate head also? Can you recommend one for me?

Can you recommend a 3 or 5 section flip lock type?

I leave in a month! I've drawn cow tags in previous years but this year is my 1st bull tag! Excited to say the least.

Anyone know anything about SLIK brand tri-pods?

this one has the flip lock legs..

Slik Pro 340DX Tripod Legs (Black) 613-339 B&H Photo Video

According to my quick search, you have a spotting scope that cost more than $1k...yes? if that is the case, I would recommend investing in a good quality tripod. The Slik you mention is definitely lightweight and packable but not very good quality. A buddy of mine has one and one of the leg locks broke after a short time.

Take a look at Manfrotto. You can find a good tripod (aluminum or carbon fiber) for ~$200 that will do the job. Look at their 055 and 190 series tripods. I have one of each and they are great. Also, as suggested earlier, get a fluid video head and you will be all set.

Manfrotto makes great tripods. I have two and they're awesome. For packing around you can get a CF model and save yourself 1-1.5 lbs. If price is not a huge concern and you want a top-of-the-line tripod take a look at Really Right Stuff - they're the best of the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.