Transport Case

veezer

I have been looking for a way to transport 3 tactical size rifles on our elk hunt this fall and was either looking at spending a boat load on Pelican cases or building my own. The case is 48" long, 18" wide and 14" tall (no more than 2 large pelicans stacked on top of each other). It is made of 1/2" plywood and some other scrap 3/4" wood I had laying around. I lined it with cheap carpet that I picked up at Lowes and lined the areas that contact the rifles with some suede I had laying around. For the wheels, I used casters that I welded so they wouldn't spin. I ended up spending about $75. I still need to figure out a way to strap down the guns so they dont rattle around. I made sure to make the smaller boxes inside large enough to hold a 50 rnd ammo box and bipod and is also big enough to hold a range finder in its case. It may not be airline approved, but it's going to be riding in the back of a truck, so that doesn't matter.

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

case3.jpg

case4.jpg

Just get some velcro strapping and put it across your web areas.Yuo also could just stuff same hunting gear in there like you HO,light jacket,gloves

.............or bubblewrap. I use that stuff for everything. Makes the best sit on while sitting in the woods deer hunting. Insulates your tush and keeps it dry too.

Good ingenuity.

Is the paint water resistant?

By back of truck mean open pickup bed?

If so, depending on the paints water resistivity add desicant and maybe a weather stripping to the lid to seal it.

Might be overkill but that set up should last years so plan for other venues. other than crack smoking luggage handlers at airports it looks up for any other task:)

TSA employees are subject to random drug testing like most employees of bona-fide businesses.

No crack smoking there........

They handle all baggage with the same nonchalant attitude.

Good point. I have no difinitive proof of the root cause of the behavior.

So the bahavior is similar.

I can agree with that. LOL

It appears to be a good home built transport case, hopefully assembled with pressure treated plywood or waterproof glue, stainless fasteners and good water resistant paint and sealer. Riding in a truck bed, it will assuredly get wet and probably banged around. I too would devise some type of seal around the edge of the lid and base to exclude moisture. Could be a simple rubber bulb type weatherstrip to a routed channel with a rubber strip inserted.

It's probably heavy, one consideration in transport cases shipped via air. A transport case has to be lightweight but strong and has to meet the TSA mandate that it can't be compromised (opened more than a crack with the locks applied). Heavy equares to additional baggage charges levied.....

We can all thank 911 and the government's 'knee jerk' reaction for all the extra security now. IMO, the only thing that changed was added personnell, added aggrivation and added cost. The 'security' end of the equation don't seem (to me) to have improved at all.

The grief and inconveninece has, however.

The box is not pressure treated and is only painted with krylon, but it will ride in the back of a truck with a topper, so water wont touch it. I think I will search for some type of foam to add into the lid section that will press down on the guns when the lid is closed to keep the guns in place.

The box is not pressure treated and is only painted with krylon, but it will ride in the back of a truck with a topper, so water wont touch it. I think I will search for some type of foam to add into the lid section that will press down on the guns when the lid is closed to keep the guns in place.

You won't have to search far. Only as far as a Lowes or Home Depot or a local lumber yard. Get yourself some Owens Corning pink rigid expanded foam. Come is various thickness's up to 4" and you can glue it together (with contact cement) for even thicker widths.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.