Training for Marco Polo Sheep Hunt - high altitude shooting

smithj99

Folks

I'm looking for places to safely shoot my rifle while training at altitude for my Marco Polo Sheep Hunt. I'd like someplace in the Lower 48, where I can safely shoot at altitudes above 10,000 feet at distances of 600-700 yards.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong but I believe we are allowed to target practice in Nat. Forest. I would find one that is closest to you that replicates your high atiltude. You would want to follow whatever rules and laws that apply. And most importantly is safety. Where is your bullet going impact as there may be others up in the high country with you.

Helicopter And Pilot are gona be Spendy , but if you got the Ging have fun ,Or shoot outside now mid/winter on a 1,000 yrd range , it's not to cold now and not to warm ,your proably going to resight in your rifle where you hunt any way . Cheers

We have stuff that high but not much and wrong time of year.Sons done many hikes around bozeman.Colorado would probably be place,hike in get you ready too.I use to hike GPark fly fishing high mtn lakes getting ready for bow season.In my youth I could hang with a bull for hrs,sometimes head them of to a pass or crossing and get them that way.

Folks

I'm looking for places to safely shoot my rifle while training at altitude for my Marco Polo Sheep Hunt. I'd like someplace in the Lower 48, where I can safely shoot at altitudes above 10,000 feet at distances of 600-700 yards.

Thanks in advance

Just wondering why you are bold typing "safely shoot" etc

I don't think that anyone here would advise you otherwise

My son does alot of hiking for fun.He super fit.He on a work visa in NZ and he hooked up with a local guy and they had camp on their backs and went hunting.Sea level to 9000.Said that was tough.

It's my understanding that you'll likely basecamp at 10k feet, but hunt from 15k to 18k feet. The elevation you'll be hunting at will have severely low oxygen levels. You'll have trouble breathing at that elevation, no matter what your fitness level is. Plus, the diamox you'll be taking to keep your blood oxygen levels up is a really potent diuretic. You'll be going a LOT.

As has been mentioned above, I'd focus on my fitness level at altitude and do my best to acclimate to high elevation months before my trip. Adjusting your scope dial is mostly math, but fitness and acclimatization must be worked for.

Last edited:
Sons friend on a day hike 10,000'
IMG_0690.PNG

Run with an altitude mask like UFC fighters use. You can simulate any altitude.
Like a fighter from Florida with a match in Mexico City..Big change.
No. They don't work. They don't lower the amount of oxygen, they just make it harder to suck air in. The oxygen content is the same. High altitude increases red blood cells as well. There is a reason you don't see ultra marathon runners using them and then racing at the high altitude ultras like Leadville/Wasache, Silverton etc.. And yes, I race 100 mile ultras.

OP, The National Forests above tree line are fun to shoot in. As far as training goes, where do you live? If you want to be ready for that altitude you will have to go up and hang out for a couple of weeks at the altitude you will be at.

If you have you're dope sorted out, then it doesn't matter the altitude.
"High altitude" is commonly considered 8000 and above. That's the number that is considered where altitude has effect on the body. There's really only two things you can do to train for that.
1. Be in shape.
2. Acclimate.

Obviously your best bet to prepare/train is to make sure you're dope is good and field worthy, your physical fitness is good to better than good at where you are, and show up a few days early to get use to the altitude/acclimate.

Medical conditions like AMS sets in usually around 16000 ish ft if you're doing it right.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.