Tract Optics - Top of the line?

Nightforce will smack it on a post and check the reticle hasn't moved on a colimiter(sp*?) Tract likely won't
Have you asked?

I asked:
Many potential customers are asking how durable the best Tract riflescopes are and how well they retain zero through common use like drive over rough road and moderate drops in the field.

Also, folks are wondering how it will handle more severe drops like falling out of a tree stand.

Can you show a video with this content or better a third party video with this content?

Last edited:
While on scopes. Picatinny rail. Does somebody make a cant picatinny rail. Some are using Picatinny rail for additional adjustment to their scopes. Now are several difference scope mounts that are taller used for clearance between the scope and the barrel. To deleted, that rail wouldn't a taller scope rings do the same thing? It would cut down the additional items needed to mount the scope.

Defining top of the line or alpha is in the eyes and perspectives of the beholder. If you are happy with strapping a heavy scope to a hunting rifle, good for you. I just want a scope that is 25 ounces or less, that is clear and durable (within reasonable circumstances). There are always trade offs. Putting a 30+ ounce scope on a hunting rifle is a no-go for me unless I am sitting over a prairie dog town.

Defining top of the line or alpha is in the eyes and perspectives of the beholder. If you are happy with strapping a heavy scope to a hunting rifle, good for you. I just want a scope that is 25 ounces or less, that is clear and durable (within reasonable circumstances). There are always trade offs. Putting a 30+ ounce scope on a hunting rifle is a no-go for me unless I am sitting over a prairie dog town.
I agree. This is why the older AMG, newer LHT, and March scopes are interesting to me. I honestly don't know what's out there now days, but after previously owning a Vortex gen 1 Razor HD, I no longer have use for a 30+ oz scope.

Defining top of the line or alpha is in the eyes and perspectives of the beholder. Putting a 30+ ounce scope on a hunting rifle is a no-go for me unless I am sitting over a prairie dog town.

Except it's not in the eye of the beholder…

It's actually qualitative and quantitative. Measurable, between light transmission, color, and durability. Sorry, but $1000 scope does not compare to a $3000 scope. Athlon is not on the same playing field, let alone the same game as say, ZCO.

Let's stop pretending otherwise. I don't like to sound like an elitist here, but it does nothing for anyone to be talking outside the realm of reality.

More importantly, scopes are not like binoculars, but rather they are telescopic sights. Mechanical accuracy, in my opinion, matters. Durability is more for field conditions, because things happen. You wouldn't go on a hunt of a lifetime with a $20 Walmart scope would you? So let's not pretend like these things don't matter..

Weight is a byproduct of durability in a lot of cases. I'm sure the geriatric crowd hates the idea of 26+ ounce scopes, but it is what it be.

Your examples are two ends of the spectrum. My point is each individual needs to determine what is important to them. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns in scopes eclipsing say $2k. You may want a Ferrari, but don't be mad when my corvette embarrasses you in performance.

Except it's not in the eye of the beholder…

It's actually qualitative and quantitative. Measurable, between light transmission, color, and durability. Sorry, but $1000 scope does not compare to a $3000 scope. Athlon is not on the same playing field, let alone the same game as say, ZCO.

Let's stop pretending otherwise. I don't like to sound like an elitist here, but it does nothing for anyone to be talking outside the realm of reality.

More importantly, scopes are not like binoculars, but rather they are telescopic sights. Mechanical accuracy, in my opinion, matters. Durability is more for field conditions, because things happen. You wouldn't go on a hunt of a lifetime with a $20 Walmart scope would you? So let's not pretend like these things don't matter..

Weight is a byproduct of durability in a lot of cases. I'm sure the geriatric crowd hates the idea of 26+ ounce scopes, but it is what it be.
You make some excellent, valid points. I respectfully disagree on the opening line; "Not in the eye of the beholder". Each individual human will see through an optic and have objective visual differences in how that view is for them, i.e., clarity, focus, light transmission, etc. Without a doubt my 57 year old eyes will see through a ZCO or Swaro different than a 20 something. Eyes change as we age. Take 10 people into an optics store, have all ten look through 10 different optics (scopes, binos, spotters) and there will absolutely be differences in how people see and feel about specific optics. You can try and explain away biological differences with technological innovations, but it doesn't work, you can't take the human aspect out of it. And yes, I went on the hunt of a lifetime with a sears & roebuck catalog gun and walmart scope when I was 12 years old.

No I don't ask upstarts to prove they're better than existing options. They can choose to do it on their own or they can be left in the bin of anonymity
Lol. Where in the world does this arrogance come from? You don't ask upstarts? You know what there testing methods are? You have the ability to leave them in "the bin of anonymity"? In the immortal words of Sgt Hulka, "lighten up, Francis".

Optical resolution is never a matter of personal opinion. It can be measured and that measurement is not dependent upon anyone's eyesight. Eyesight affects people's perception.

The problem with me ordering a Tract is I don't get to look through it before purchase.
I was told that if Tract sold through distributers they would be higher priced.
Oh well,a lot of good comments on optics,a lot of knowledge here!

The problem with me ordering a Tract is I don't get to look through it before purchase.
I was told that if Tract sold through distributers they would be higher priced.
Oh well,a lot of good comments on optics,a lot of knowledge here!
I feel the same way, but am still leaning towards buying one just from the reputation they seem to be getting. I havent seen many, if any, bad reviews on them.

I feel the same way, but am still leaning towards buying one just from the reputation they seem to be getting. I havent seen many, if any, bad reviews on them.
I'd say you're good to go. I haven't seen a negative review either. There are some naysayers that haven't owned or used one though. Generally those are the ones that feel more secure about themselves if they spent more on their optic, even if it isn't better. The only "negative" is the weight, which for target rifles isn't an issue. If you're bother by a few extra ounces, maybe lift a few extra pounds.