Tract Optics - Top of the line?

mfran615

I am new to the long range game as of a few months ago. I went "cheap" on the scope because I read so many great things about Tract that I had to try one. I went for the Tract Toric 4-20x50 with the mil reticle. So far, I absolutely love it. There is nothing I dislike about it yet. It does very well from 100 yards to 1 mile (the furthest I have shot with it). Does anyone here have experience with them compared to something like the ATACR? This is the nicest scope I have used, so I don't have anything of a higher price point to compare to. I can't imagine many scopes are much better, especially for anything near the price ($1,250 with discount code).

Some of us have used a slew of optics.

The simple answer generally the higher end optics will have certain or unique features that are "better." Better being in the eye of the beholder. While there might be overlaps between military/competitor/hunter etc, the value of said features might speak differently to these groups of people.

Examples of features, in example of the atacr is that the internals and durability are increased. There's a reason why it's a military optic. Excluding reticle options.

The optical clarity, while not schmidt and bender good is still pretty good. Eventually, some of these scopes become so good, the only way to tell any difference between some of these top brands and models is to look at them in low light or under moon light.

It sounds like you lucked out and found a scope that worked for you at a good price point.

Last edited:
As far as looking through the scope the Tract is head and shoulders better optically than any NF I have used but the Tract will 'tunnel' more in the low powers, mine does up to maybe 7-8x. Look through it and turn the power up and down, you will see what I mean, this doesn't bother me because I really can't see or use the reticle until about 8x anyway. I don't know it to be true but I suspect the NF will take more abuse than the Tract before it breaks. I haven't and don't plan on abusing mine intentionally to find out but normal use and hunting should tell the story over the next few years. I also think the Tract is substantially better than the NF in VERY low light conditions, well outside normal legal shooting times for big game but I hog hunt a lot so it's important to me. The NF is PLENTY good in normal legal shooting hours and beyond. NF will have better resale value also due to the reputation. I am very happy with my Tract ELR scope, and plan to buy another. That said, if I knew I needed an optic that was going to get beat up on the regular I would probably opt for the NF until I have enough experience with the Tract to understand if it will hold up under abuse. The NF reputation is deserved and they are proven.

Thanks for your input. That is more or less what I have gathered based on my own experience and reading reviews. I couldn't be more pleased with mine, although I wish the ELR was in stock when I purchased mine. The extra 10x would be nice, but not entirely necessary for what I use it for. I haven't shot with it much under 10x yet to notice the tunnel effect. I usually keep it around 10-12x for most shots but take it up to 20 for smaller targets at longer range. So far, I'm very impressed with Tract. As for resale, I have an unfounded suspicion that resale will be good, at least as long as they are out of stock.

Thanks for your input. That is more or less what I have gathered based on my own experience and reading reviews. I couldn't be more pleased with mine, although I wish the ELR was in stock when I purchased mine. The extra 10x would be nice, but not entirely necessary for what I use it for. I haven't shot with it much under 10x yet to notice the tunnel effect. I usually keep it around 10-12x for most shots but take it up to 20 for smaller targets at longer range. So far, I'm very impressed with Tract. As for resale, I have an unfounded suspicion that resale will be good, at least as long as they are out of stock.

Ok…

You know that you're not comparing apples to apples? Your responding to bias confirmation but both scopes are made in the same factory. They use the same glass with maybe a different coating layer. Like I said intially, if you look in them it's hard to tell the different between LOW made scopes in the same price range. You will notice more a difference of European glass.

A big difference is the the Nightforce atacr is a 34mm tube and has 35 mils of elevation (total) vs tracts 20 mils using a 30mm tube, which is the one you mentioned in the OP.

Even the tract ELR which has a 34mm tube and is more of a Apple to Apple comparison, maxes out at 30 mils. After zeroing, that will usually leave you somewhere around 15 mil useable.

…and again, the Nightforce (Atacr specifically) are battle tested. They are priced that way because people are willing to pay that, and people are willing to pay that price because of the features and reputation.

I do understand. FWIW, I have 13.7 mils of elevation with a 100 yd zero. I am contemplating a 30 MOA mount to get some more, but even at a mile, I dial 13.5 and hold 6 over with relative ease.

I do understand. FWIW, I have 13.7 mils of elevation with a 100 yd zero. I am contemplating a 30 MOA mount to get some more, but even at a mile, I dial 13.5 and hold 6 over with relative ease.
So if you were to have gotten the ELR you would gain a wapping 2 mils elevation over your current set up before putting a 30 moa mount on. Which that would bump you to around a little less than 25 mils. Usable. Plus whatever is in the reticle.

Pardon my ignorance, but again, I'm new to all of this. I currently have a 20 MOA rail installed. What would happen if I had a 0 MOA?

You would lose about 5.8 mils at 0 moa. That would be your scopes usable elevation after zero.

20 moa is about 5.8 mathematically.
30 moa is 8.7ish mils.

I say mathematically because it doesn't account for manufacturing flaws.

They do have Euro glass in them, Schott specifically. I have a lot more time behind NF than the Tract and know how good they are, but so far the Tract has been perfect in every way. Time and use will tell the whole story.

Strong feedback. I have the 4x-20x Tract. I don't know if it is as good as Nightforce, just that it is good enough for me.

I do wish I knew zero maintaining capability over rough roads and moderate drops, but I'm not really willing to drop test my scope! Hmm. Maybe someone needs to call Tract and Nightforce with a head to head test strategy!

f
They do have Euro glass in them, Schott specifically. I have a lot more time behind NF than the Tract and know how good they are, but so far the Tract has been perfect in every way. Time and use will tell the whole story.
Sure, you're right. Seems that's how Tract ordered their design.

It's still made in the same factory as Nightforce. So, if that's the case, who did the grinding, polishing, coating etc? Tract in house? You don't get a $1,2-500 scope and compare it to a actual European scope. Schott is just the glass. That doesn't put it on the same playing field as S&B, IOR, high end zeiss etc.
There's still a whole process that takes place to get high end optics…high end.

Strong feedback. I have the 4x-20x Tract. I don't know if it is as good as Nightforce, just that it is good enough for me.

I do wish I knew zero maintaining capability over rough roads and moderate drops, but I'm not really willing to drop test my scope! Hmm. Maybe someone needs to call Tract and Nightforce with a head to head test strategy!
Nightforce will smack it on a post and check the reticle hasn't moved on a colimiter(sp*?) Tract likely won't

f

Sure, you're right. Seems that's how Tract ordered their design.

It's still made in the same factory as Nightforce. So, if that's the case, who did the grinding, polishing, coating etc? Tract in house? You don't get a $1,2-500 scope and compare it to a actual European scope. Schott is just the glass. That doesn't put it on the same playing field as S&B, IOR, high end zeiss etc.
There's still a whole process that takes place to get high end optics…high end.
Can you show us what is specifically "high end"?

Most better products are better through:
material….often more expensive
application of technology…..I.e. better tooling
better alignment of design to market demands

anyways, it should be easily visible comparing specifications or performance test results. "European" is neither.

Last edited: