Tracking on VX-6?

Dakota Kid

Hoping to get some feedback on the Leupold VX-6 and how it tracks.

I need to find a scope for my hunting rifle that is somewhat reasonable in weight but has elevation turrets that track. This is going on a Elite hunter stock so weight is a consideration, but repeatability is paramount above all else.

A few I am considering are the LRHS, the XTR II 3-15,NSX 3.5-15 and the VX6 with the windplex and zero lock. I looked at the HD5 but they only have pled reticle and I really want a reticle that can be used for wind holdover.

I have found plenty on the reliable tracking of the LRHS and Burris but can't find anything on the tracking/box test for a vx-6.

The weight on the VX-6 brings it into play as it is lighter than the other 3, but ONLY if they track. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It's nearly impossible for me to tell when I make an adjustment with my VX-6. There is no sound and almost no feeling when it moves. My Bushnell 6500 puts it to shame in this area.

I have a VX 6, but waiting for a base before it can be mounted and tested. Initial impression is that the glass is excellent and dialing definitely has a distinct 'click' feel to it.

A word of caution; don't purchase the mounts until you get the scope in hand. The VX 6 has a shorter mounting overall dimension compared to most other scopes. This is due to the design of the tube. You may have to purchase extra long bases or go to a rail system to accommodate this design so you can have proper eye relief distance.

Also, Consider the NXS 5.5 - 22 x 50 since it is the same weight as the 3 - 15 in the same model

Look into the Sightron Big sky options. If you want reliable tracking then sightron is for you. I don't think the Leupold will give you a bit of trouble either though.

Yes I perform that test on all my rifles as well as a tracking up a full revolution, back down 2 revolutions and back up one to return to zero. No issues with my vx6

Yes I perform that test on all my rifles as well as a tracking up a full revolution, back down 2 revolutions and back up one to return to zero. No issues with my vx6

Thank you CPGfan. that is exactly what I needed to hear to take the plunge.

Now last question, 2-12 lacks the Side Parallax vs the 3-18 and the trade off is just a touch of weight and a little less FOV on the low end.

has anyone had issues with the lack of parallax on the 2-12? any strong feelings one way or another on which one to pick up (price is the same)

again mainly a deer/coyote rifle (6.5 swede) so the 3-18 will allow it to trench its legs a little more, but looking for insight.

If you go to snipers hide and look at killswitches scope tracking tracking thread under scopes you may want to reconsider. Its grade was an F. I also know of a individual on another site that is in the military that is not a fan of Leupolds tracking either. I ended up going with the NightForce NSX as to me tracking was what the scope must do.

Thank you Strut,

I thought KillSwitch's review was not he Mark 6 not the VX-6?

doesn't give me warm fuzzys about Leupold tracking as a whole but I believe that was a different scope. I have heard of tracking issues in both the mark 4 and mark 6 but have heard good things about the vx3s fitted with turrets.

The killswitch review in part is why i am so concerned about the vx-6 tracking...i want to get some feedback from those who have used this specific scope (specifically from those have done tracking tests/box tests).

Lightweight and solid tracking seem to be very hard to find unless you want a basic plex reticle which i am not drawn to

Last edited:
This was discussed not too long ago. Those who have put them to the test are pleased with the results:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/leupold-vx6-cds-repeat-ability-156402/

I have the 3-18x50mm with TMOA reticle. The glass is amazing. I have not done a box test with it, and like some others I'm not a big fan of the turrets. But I knew I would change them out anyway, so no big deal. I'll be sending mine in to have the tactical turrets installed now that my hunts are over. You should note that only the scopes equipped with TMOA reticles can have the tactical turrets installed, at least according to the techs I've spoken with.

This was discussed not too long ago. Those who have put them to the test are pleased with the results:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/leupold-vx6-cds-repeat-ability-156402/

I have the 3-18x50mm with TMOA reticle. The glass is amazing. I have not done a box test with it, and like some others I'm not a big fan of the turrets. But I knew I would change them out anyway, so no big deal. I'll be sending mine in to have the tactical turrets installed now that my hunts are over. You should note that only the scopes equipped with TMOA reticles can have the tactical turrets installed, at least according to the techs I've spoken with.

Thank you for the info. This seals the deal for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.