Toyota Tacoma

Does not matter what year it is buy it. They have been getting 20mpg for the last 15 years, and they continue to rule the resale market because they flat work, dont break down, sized perfect for off road, and well its a Toyota.
This!

There is no one size fits all truck. I have a Tundra, and my son has a Tacoma, which suits our needs.

Just bought a GMC Sierra AT4 to replace my 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie. I took one look at the stickers on Toyota Tacoma and Tundra just kept going. Yes, they hold resale well but they should with the high cost new.
GMC website states your model starts at 66k, the Tacoma 4x4 with V6 can be had starting in the 40's. How much did you pay for yours? I could be a new Tacoma plus another good mpg car for the price of that GMC.
GMC

I have a 2020 Tacoma TRD off road and a 2020 F-150. Given the choice I usually pick the under powered Tacoma. There is something about small trucks they are fun to drive and nimble. I took mine up the mtn last Saturday and was glad I chose it over the F-150. When it comes to power the F-150 is hands down the way to go but on the mtn and around town I just prefer the Tacoma.

GMC website states your model starts at 66k, the Tacoma 4x4 with V6 can be had starting in the 40's. How much did you pay for yours? I could be a new Tacoma plus another good mpg car for the price of that GMC.
GMC
I was a mechanic at Toyota back in the 90s. Owned a few Toys. I moved on to Chevys. Just buying a used Chevy is ridiculously cheaper. Their value is less than nothing. Mileage sucks. But I save on the upfront price. I just bought a 2012 Silverado Z7 4x4 for $20,000.00 last year. From a dealership. It was like new except a few dings here & there. It had little less than 16,000 miles on it. Where can you get a deal like that on a Toy ? They don't exist. lol

Last edited:
I was a mechanic at Toyota back in the 90s. Owned a few Toys. I moved on to Chevys. Just buying a used Chevy is ridiculously cheaper. Their value is less than nothing. Mileage sucks. But I save on the upfront price. I just bought a 2012 Silverado Z7 4x4 for $20,000.00 last year. It had little less than 16,000 miles on it. Where can you get a deal like that on a Toy ? They don't exist. lol
Depends on who you know. 😏
In 2015, I bought a 2008 Tacoma Xtra cab TRD Offroad with lift and tires, 56K miles, from a dealership. Paid $13,800 for it. Still running strong today.

GMC
Got a deal on a 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 with only 14000 miles (literally the little old couple in rural GA in 80s who did not drive much) - so not apples to apples. But - could not justify 2023 Tacoma pricing much less 2023 Tundra, so went next door to GMC/Chevy dealer and found the "deal". Not saying anything bad about Toyota except pricing new (and used). Had a Tacoma 4 door that served me very well except (opinion) the full size RAM, etc. ride better.

I would highly recommend looking at the new Hybrid coming out. I have a Tundra Hybrid and absolutely love it. It is much quicker and better for towing than the regular Tundras that came out last year. I get 20-21 MPG on the highway with a 4x4 Limited which is only 1-2 MPG better than the non-hybrids, but you will notice a big increase in power and torque.
It is a beast for sure. I just don't need that much torque so figured I'd save the 3K premium. I also kinda did not like the fact that it has those big batteries under the back seats and I've grown accustomed to using that space alot in my 5.7.

...........I moved on to Chevys. Just buying a used Chevy is ridiculously cheaper. Their value is less than nothing...........It was like new except a few dings here & there. It had little less than 16,000 miles on it. Where can you get a deal like that on a Toy ? They don't exist. lol
Old roommate (city boy who doesnt hunt or go in the mountains) moved to Costa Rica last year. Sold out including his Tacoma and headed south. A few months in he sends a pic of his new rig and says "its a HILUX just like a Tacoma with a diesel". I asked if he got the five speed (my ignorance) and lockers? He corrected me a six speed and yes he got the lockers "the lockers came on it are they that big of a deal". 😵‍💫 I tell him to call as I am freaking out. He said he could not find a single used one for sale, and it was clear he had no idea what he just bought. Now he sends a regular text with "Taking the BAHX fishing". 😂😂

Old roommate (city boy who doesnt hunt or go in the mountains) moved to Costa Rica last year. Sold out including his Tacoma and headed south. A few months in he sends a pic of his new rig and says "its a HILUX just like a Tacoma with a diesel". I asked if he got the five speed (my ignorance) and lockers? He corrected me a six speed and yes he got the lockers "the lockers came on it are they that big of a deal". 😵‍💫 I tell him to call as I am freaking out. He said he could not find a single used one for sale, and it was clear he had no idea what he just bought. Now he sends a regular text with "Taking the BAHX fishing". 😂😂
Just returned from South Africa hunting - new and used HiLux everywhere. The PHs fix up the bed for hunting.

Not a mileage king, but who cares.. I love my 2008 Taco, took off all dealer decals and 4x4 stickers on it. Did the same thing on the cap. The flying sword of the Tactical Air Command lives on.

The Truck Vault system is an awesome addition. LEER cap and the security drawer system added a few pounds to the truck, not bad for additional rear wheel traction.

A farmer ordered it and changed his mind. It did not even have cruise control, no intermittent wipers, basic radio, as it was going to be a farm truck. It was in the dealership for a couple of months. Who would want a vehicle these days without cruise control? Not a deal breaker for me, as it was discounted, a rare thing.

It is range and match ready 24x7, rests, shooting mat, range cart, scope stand, etc. Spotting scope and Magnetospeed V3 live in one of the drawers.

Before I took it home, I had the dealership install the TRD intake and TRD cat back exhaust... it has a slight growl when I punch it..

20221102_165022.jpg
20221010_161816.jpg
20221010_163016.jpg

Last edited: