Total Time Producing Perfect Reloads?

Seems like it takes most of a day. Cleaning, case segregation, runout, etc. Just wondering. Thanks.

well I only wish I could load the perfect round. I honestly take about the same amount of time an energy to build my best ammunition. I mean to say that throwing powder takes about the same time and energy whether you building simple fire forming loads, or the best stuff you know to build. I tend to work in a window of tolerance, but also trying to tighten that window all the time.

I use an arbor press to do all my neck sized stuff, and for me this is slightly slower. Yet also very consistent. With my threaded dies, it's just the stroke of the press assuming you got everything set up right. If I do a hundred cases starting out cold, I usually most of the variance in the first six to eight cases. After that I kinda develop a feel. Yet I've also noticed that different lots of brass size differently. A hand full of cases that have been shot six times will size a little differently than another handful that have been shot twice.

I have more trouble seating primers than all the rest of my reloading operations. I don't have good feeling in my hands, so just do the best I can. Plus the thickness of the primer will vary a little bit. If their varience was held to something like +/- .001", I could do a slight rework of the Forster priming setup and be very consistent. Anyway that's my main problem in reloading. But I also have a plan, and may do it someday.

Seating bullets for me is a breeze. Just as easy and accurate with a Forster seater as with my Wilson ( speaking only of seating depth here). Runout wise the Wilson is about a half thousandth better for me. I've been chasing that half thousandth for ten long years, and have finally decided to wave the white flag! Plus I know that I have to find a way to cut another two and a half tenths out of the typical five to seven tenths runout I'm seeing. The best rounds I've ever loaded were in the three to five tenths range (TIR) with Wilson dies. Time wise it was about the same, and suspect it was just near perfect cases for a change. The best I can remember using threaded dies was slightly under one thousandth TIR (25 rounds), but the norm is about .0013" TIR.

Guys are running out and buying the automated powder measurers, and if only two thirds of all the raving is true then they are a dream come true! But they are not all that much quicker unless your doing real long grained powders. I throw ball powders in a tenth and a half grain window with my Harrell. But the Lyman is only slight worse. A +/- one tenth grain window with the Lyman is exception, and also very quick. I can't see it getting anybetter (also the Harrell). But if I have to trickle, then things seriously slow to a snail's pace. Perhaps if I had three hands, or a girl friend that was interested?
gary

I'm not sure if this answers your question, as I have no idea how long it actually takes to reload a precision box of rifle reloads. I typically do things in batches. I'll tumble, wash, primer pocket uniform, etc. Sometime later I'll size, trim, deburr, wash, and prime. Then when I'm ready to load for development, hunting, try something new, etc I'll charge and seat.

For whatever reason, this breaks up the process and makes reloading fun for me. Also, having a bunch of brass "ready to load" gives me a lot of flexibility to experiment with new bullets/powders/OALs etc a few at a time.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.