topic resolved

Your Swarovski on 24 power will certainly enable you to see a face clearly - each eye for that matter at 700. Fact is that your TDS reticle is somewhat self-limiting to 600 yards - it was designed that way as the fellow who came up with the idea feels that 600 is about as far as one should hunt to.

It is a remarkably versatile reticle, will accomodate a wide range of calibers and velocities. I particularly like it for the .308 Win. with 150 grain bullets as the bars are right on in one hundred yard increments out to 500. The TDS is not really a tactical reticle, it is primarily intended for hunting. Tactical long range shooters seem to prefer the Mil-dots to any other reticle design.

Most long range shooters employ turrets and they crank on the necessary elevation and windage adjustments whereas the TDS uses repeatable hold-offs. Your scope will have metric adjustment calibration - about 1/3 inch per click which is not as user-friendly as exactly 1/4" per click.

Your scope is a good one - I happen to have been with the inventor when he first tested it in New Mexico.

Although your .223's can reach out, most LR shooters like the venerable .308 Win as it is capable of reaching out past 1000, is cheap to shoot and it has no secrets - all the math has been done long ago by the military.

Shooting past 500 with a .223 is a definite long range challenge.

lan M,
thanks for the info, i appreciate your opinion. what is your opinion on the difference in the optics between nightforce and swarovski?

I shoot a 16X Mark 4 and have no problem seeing DETAILS at 700 yards, and further. On 24X, you should have no problems.

Welcome to the sport!

grandadmorgan,

With my 3.5x15x50 Nightforce NXS I can clearly see the 2" X on an NRA bull at 1000 yards. I'd say that you should be able to see a face at 700. My guess would not be your eyesight, I'd be more inclined to think that the scope isn't focused correctly and the parallax isn't set for the distance you you're viewing. My 300 yard parallax setting gives me a blurry target at 1000.

FatBoy...

thanks gary for your confirmation and fatboy i'll work on your prognosis.
do either of you feel that i should sell the swarovski and get a nightforce nxs 8-42x56?

Nightforce vs Swarovski - OUCH! Not an easy determination as they are both very good. Unfortunately it is somewhat difficult to compare them head to head - they are each going after different markets. I believe that Swaro made a few tactical scope models (or Kahles) but Nightforce is not trying to hit the hunting market very seriously - mostly tactical and LR.

I must admit to never having put them head to head - the difference might be difficult to assess. They are both very good. The only 50mm scope that Nightforce makes is the 3.5-15 NXS and it is very nice. The rest of their line is 56mm. I have a 3x-12 Swaro with TDS and and the above NXS but I use them on different styles of rifles - the turrets on the NXS get a lot of use (out to 1000) whereas I rely on the range bars for hunting out to 500 with the TDS.

You have an excellent long range scope. If it is properly focused and parallax free you can shoot paper out to 5 or 600 to learn how the bars relate to your trajectory. Then take it hunting. If you wish to shoot considerably longer you should consider a 30mm scope with 1/4 moa adjustments and turrets, power range to be determined. The Leupold 8-25 or NXS 5.5-22 come to mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts