Teaching myself to reload

Cutty

I'm teaching myself how to reload and I was wondering what basic advice you guys had. I've got one of those Rock Chucker sets and a hornaday video and some manuals. I'm reloading for my 7mm Rem mag first.

Thanks

Before actually doing it yourself, I'd suggest you find someone; who loads in your area, and ask them to take you through the process a time or two. This way your questions are all answered, and there are no mistakes up front. Read everything you can get your hands on, and never start with a high load. Always start low and work your way up. Good luck & good shootin'

Many reloading manuals have instructions on basic reloading. The Lyman books seem to be particularely helpful in explaining things. You will need a few loading manuals anyway, so this is a good place to start.

Nighthunter gave some good advice; it would be very advisable to get some help from an experienced handloader the first time around. There are a lot of things that are easy to do INCORRECTLY. Some can result in dangerous conditions.

Handloading isn't just for the economy of it, its an addictive hobby for many of us. I haven't fired a single round of factory rifle ammo in over 20 years.

Take your time, solicite some help, and get started on the right foot.

[ 10-11-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

I didn't have anyone in the area to show me how to reload either, so I bought a lot of books and read everything I could find on the subject. Read everything you can, remember safety 1st, and make sure you understand the operation at hand. If you don't understand why you are doing something, than ask. It should all come together eventually. I found that reading about firearms also helped me out. After understanding what the throat, chamber, headspace, etc... it helps in understanding why you are doing (or not doing) a certain operation to a case.

Anyone who reloads, beginner or veteran, would be wise to obtain a copy of Stan Watson's reloading book, it is unique, comprehensive and gives a bunch of info that the mainline manuals do not touch. Check out Stan's website at;
http://www.reloadingpro.com/

This book is really a great reference tool, and a good read also. Don't be fooled by the fact that it concentrates on the .30-06, it is a great source of info on about everything there is to learn about reloading.

Always feel free to ask any question here also. When in doubt STOP and ask.

Organize your reloading area and keep it clean any time you use it for reloading.

If you are going to load 50 rounds then complete one opperation on all 50 rounds before going to the next opperation instead of having rounds at several stages of completion. If you are loading 500 rounds then do the same up to when you load the powder and seat the bullets. These two steps can be done on a smaller scale so you dont have 400 brass loaded with powder sitting on the bench ready to spill.

Only have one powder on the workspace at one time. Don't have H-335 in the powder trickler and 296 in the powder dumper and a can of Unique sitting over by the press. ONE powder and ONLY one powder.

Remember: It takes only a few seconds to double check everything you do but it takes about a month of recovery, 3 to 5 corrective surgeries and a year or two of rehabilitative therapy to learn how to button your fly and pull up your socks with three fingers on only one hand and partial vision in your remaining eye.
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.