Tonight’s masterpiece. Elk Chili con Carne

Elkeater

Delicious. Chili carne mag with dried chilies, oniin, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano. Elk sirloin chunks. Homemade pico de galo. Fresh cilantro, and fresh jalapeños. With a side of brown rice. Wife and kids had theirs with fresh homemade tortillas.
View attachment 185657

Attachments

• A63BA8B9-11C3-4CA8-A909-2055E0401398.jpeg
    A63BA8B9-11C3-4CA8-A909-2055E0401398.jpeg
    848.6 KB · Views: 208
So the chili recipe is fairly simple. I took about 15 dried chilies. You can get these at most grocery stores that have a Hispanic food section. I cut the stems off and took the seeds out. Heated the Dutch oven over medium heat and roasted the Chile's for about 5 minutes. Put them in a bowl with 1quart chicken broth and microwave them for 5-8 minutes depending on microwave. You want the broth to just boil. Then dump the chilies and broth into the blender and purée the chilies. Take your 3-4 lbs of elk steak (I used sirloin) cut into 1-2" pieces. Salt and pepper heavily then brown in a bit of oil in the Dutch oven. Remove the meat to a plate or bowl. Brown up one large onion, then add a tablespoon of cumin, 1/4 tsp allspice, 1/2tsp cinnamon a tsp kosher salt and 4-5 minced garlic cloves. Sauté for one minute until fragrant dump in meat and chilies add 1 more quart of chicken broth and enough water to completely cover the meat. Simmer on the stove or in the oven for 3-4 hours. Let it sit in the fridge overnight to let the flavors marry then reheat and serve with tortillas, salsa, pico, jalapeño, fresh onion, cilantro, cheese, or whatever else sounds good.

So the chili recipe is fairly simple. I took about 15 dried chilies. You can get these at most grocery stores that have a Hispanic food section. I cut the stems off and took the seeds out. Heated the Dutch oven over medium heat and roasted the Chile's for about 5 minutes. Put them in a bowl with 1quart chicken broth and microwave them for 5-8 minutes depending on microwave. You want the broth to just boil. Then dump the chilies and broth into the blender and purée the chilies. Take your 3-4 lbs of elk steak (I used sirloin) cut into 1-2" pieces. Salt and pepper heavily then brown in a bit of oil in the Dutch oven. Remove the meat to a plate or bowl. Brown up one large onion, then add a tablespoon of cumin, 1/4 tsp allspice, 1/2tsp cinnamon a tsp kosher salt and 4-5 minced garlic cloves. Sauté for one minute until fragrant dump in meat and chilies add 1 more quart of chicken broth and enough water to completely cover the meat. Simmer on the stove or in the oven for 3-4 hours. Let it sit in the fridge overnight to let the flavors marry then reheat and serve with tortillas, salsa, pico, jalapeño, fresh onion, cilantro, cheese, or whatever else sounds good.
Thank you! I'll give it a try.

I did a Chile Colorado version tonight in the Instantpot using a chuck roast but I couldn't find green chiles so I used red New Mexico Anjo Chiles...knock your socks off and only took 30 minutes in the IP. Thanks for the recipe and idea.

Looks at pic. hmmmm. Ok. I mean we could debate some terminology here. I mean, it's kinda more like spicy braised elk bites but hey, isn't that what chili is anyway? Spicy braised meat with indeterminate chunk sizes? Fine. I'll accept the assertion that it's chili con carne.

Just out of curiosity, /me goes and looks up chili on Wikipedia... Ok, well that's not chili at all Wikistupidiea. "Chili con carne" does not contain beans. Jesus it's no wonder the whole world is in such a state of ignorance. The defacto source of google searchable truth can't even get chili right.

OP, thank you for not posting a picture of meat & bean stew and calling it chili. You are a good man and chili lovers everywhere thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.