To SST or not to SST

dont get me on the wrong side of this. I too dont care for bonded and copper solid bullets. I much prefer cup and core bullets for deer. I kill alot of deer every year and have come to count on nos bts and sierra bullets. The sst will hammer deer but it is a tad more destructive then the other too. Not a problem with a proper behind the shoulder shot but if you hit meat your going to make a mess.

Great thread- thanks to all who have posted good info.

Have a similar question, hope it's not too far off track.

Just re-barreled by hunting rifle to a 338-06, love the round and am seeing excellent accuracy with both the 210gr Nosler Partitions and the 225gr Hornady SSTs- both at about 2750 over R17.

Hope to hunt deer and elk with it next year so want to settle on a bullet now to have plenty of time to practice.

Shots will probably be from 100 and with the accuracy its showing I would feel very comfortable with a 400-500 yard broadside.

Thoughts?

I didn't quite read through the entire thread but I have had some experience with the 30 cal SST's. From my experience they do tend to "explode" on impact. My dad hit a coyote with a 300 WSM at about 100-150 yards and the bullet didn't even go all the way through the animal. Granted it was a BIG coyote but I've hit coyotes with a 300 WSM 180 gr Accubond at 250 yards that went through.

That being said, the expenditure of the bullet's energy definitely was taken out on the animal. I would say anything less than 300 yards an SST would be fine if you're accurate with it. The SST is pretty neat, especially since it expands so well at low velocities. That's the one bad thing about the solid copper bullets is that you need speed to get them to open up.

I've killed many elk and deer with good old 180gr Speer spire point flat base bullets though out of a 30/06!

The key obviously is accuracy. No matter how much you want to use a bullet if it doesn't shoot from your rifle then it's useless. I REALLY wanted to use Sciroccos out of my 300 WSM but I couldn't group them well enough to use it. I have a great load for 168 gr Barnes TTSX's that I'm going to use this year. I've heard GREAT things about them.

Also, I'm not sure why a lot of guys are so amped up about Bergers. I'd try them if I didn't have to buy 100 bullets just to see if I like them or not. There's WAY too many good bullets out there to throw money after them. If I want a super duper BC I'd buy some custom rounds.

Last edited:
Well, soft non bonded bullet plus excess velocity is going to equal a crap ton of expansion very, very fast. The key with SST's in my own experience is actually shooting from a bit farther

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.