To SST or not to SST

im a big fan of cup and core bullets but will share this. We did some crop damage deer shooting with ssts last year. Mostly the 150 and 165 out of 06s and 300 win mags and 300 h&h. That bullet is FRAGILE. Its more explosive then even a ballistic tip or sierra boat tail. Deer went down like they were hit by the hammer of thor but damage was dramatic. I would NEVER trust one on anything bigger then a whitetail.

There are lots of polymer tipped high BC bullets that are so much better than the SST or AMAX if that is the style of bullet you must have. Why take a chance when there are better options available? I would suggest the Nosler Accubond, Hornady GMX, Barnes TTSX, and believe it or not the Partition is still the bench mark in my books and it shoots very well from my rifles and I have no issues with a slightly lower BC because I have a laser rangefinder and my drops are not only committed to memory but they are also taped to the side of my stock.

The SST is fine. Ive killed many animals with the 162 grain at 3100 FPS. From 200 to 600 yards. Hit them in the ribs or high shoulder and they drop.

Got tired of chasing animals after shooting them with bonded lead bullets and all copper ones too.

The SST is fine. Ive killed many animals with the 162 grain at 3100 FPS. From 200 to 600 yards. Hit them in the ribs or high shoulder and they drop.

Got tired of chasing animals after shooting them with bonded lead bullets and all copper ones too.

I agree. Having killed a few elk with the SST it's not a concern for me. Right now I am working on loads for both the SST and 180 Berger for elk. Accuracy is the deciding factor this year. But from what I have experienced and what I want out of a bullet, they work. One shot drops.
I don't understand what the beef is. Recovered my bullet last year and it retained over 80 grains of 162 and it was stopped in the opposite side just under the skin. Lead still attached to the copper. The .270 SST's my dad shoots held over half their weight last year and the copper didn't seperate from the lead there either. Entrance wound was caliber sized and wound channel was about 3" through the lungs. partially blood shot opposite shoulder. My brother shoots accubonds and federal factory soft points in his '06. Every year he shoots an elk he has two caliber sized holes and a blood trail to follow. I am sick of chasing his elk through the worst terrain possible and gutting animals in thickets. For me I want all the energy to be spent inside an animal, not to have any left over to keep flying elsewhere.

Just my experience and opinion.

I think most of the beef is the ammo hitting when it's traveling too fast (blow up) or it turning most animals into a meatsplosion. I like the SST like I said, but I was curious about elk experience with the bullet.

We'll see. Depends on availability, really. Dramatic killing isn't always the best for delicious meat retention but it does seem to do the job.

Some of this may have something to do with where poi is. In all the elk I have killed very few have lost much meat. I always aim for the crease right behind the front shoulder. Vitals are close to the surface and easy to get past a rib. If your goal is to pass through a shoulder it would make more sense to worry about fragmenting bullets. I suspect this has more to do with differing experiences and opinions than the actual bullet.
Just for curiosity are thereany pictures of bullets actually grenading instead of penetrating? I have killed elk with ballistic tips, sierra bthp game kings, accubonds, core locks, and SST's.

My vote is to SST......but hopefully I take some bergers this year and find out for myself.

I like the SST. Great ballistics. Law enforcement likes 'em for shooting through glass so that should tell you something about their toughness.

But I like Berger's ballistics even better. And they are tough too.

I like the SST. Great ballistics. Law enforcement likes 'em for shooting through glass so that should tell you something about their toughness.

But I like Berger's ballistics even better. And they are tough too.

Bergers are awesome. 2x the price and not a bullet I'm familiar with for LD though, so =P

NOT. Driving the SST fast (3100+) and getting a close up shot at an elk that's not posing for you to pick your exact spot and angle to slip that bullet into is asking for trouble. I have found them to be pretty darn soft and the kills can be dramatic on lung shot broadside elk. But a quartering animal?....I digress. I know someone who shot 154 SST out of a 7 mag for quite a while and killed a couple bulls with it... but one he thought he hit good got away from him also.

NOT. Driving the SST fast (3100+) and getting a close up shot at an elk that's not posing for you to pick your exact spot and angle to slip that bullet into is asking for trouble. I have found them to be pretty darn soft and the kills can be dramatic on lung shot broadside elk. But a quartering animal?....I digress. I know someone who shot 154 SST out of a 7 mag for quite a while and killed a couple bulls with it... but one he thought he hit good got away from him also.

So what I understand you to say is he had good results with this bullet until he didn't recover an animal? Then it wasn't the fact that elk are tough as hell to kill, or shot placement, it HAD to be the SST wasn't tough enough to knock it down first shot? I won't say SST's are the go to greatest bullet ever, BUT it's strange to me that a lot of 'stories' regarding this horrible hunting bullet dont have a lot of basis to support claims.
I bought a couple hundred amax's thinking guys on here kill elk with them and they have a good BC. Then I cut one apart and compared to my other hunting bullets. The next day I sold them here on this site cause I would never use them for hunting. Yes that is my opinion.
I see opinions generated in online forums where people hear a rumor or opinion, and have no real life basis for agreeing, but they buy into it and speak as if it has merit. Then a product that is pretty good gets a bad reputation needlessly.
Can someone please explain how it's possible that a bullet traveling at 3100fps could penetrate 3" but the same bullet traveling at 1800fps will penetrate deeper (I assume 10-12")? Or is it shot placement that makes the difference in those two scenarios? Heavy bone or thin skin?
My experience with accubonds, federal soft points, grand slams, and partions are two pencil sized holes and a blood trail.......maybe.
Sorry for the rant, but this whole SST thing is bugging me.
My dad shot a bull 3 times 2 years ago with .270/150gr(?) SST. The bull was less than 150yrds and quartering away from him. First hit it was sick, second it just stood there, 3rd it crumpled and fell. Upon quartering we found it's chest cavity was mush. Dad loads his .270 pretty hot and I can tell you each bullet had great penetration and expansion. But he didn't loose any meat, or hit any heavy bone.
All this being said, I just built a gun that I plan on shooting 180 bergers out of. I have never hunted with bergers, and though I have no complaints with the SST, I want to try something new.

My take on your two velocities, Upacreek, is this--and I hope members will chime in if I'm wrong. A lower velocity will aid a bulllet in penetration (especially on a design that's main attribute is rapid expansion) because it has less violent forces acting on it upon impact. The higher the impact velocity, the faster the expansion and therefore subsequent disintegration of the bullet if it has no mechanical aspect of the design to keep it held together (bonding, monolithic construction, partition, etc) within that impact velocity envelope.

There is also such a thing as too slow of impact velocity as well, which will fail to open a bullet if it is TOO tough due to the above mechanical features (bonding, monolithic, partition, etc) so it ultimately leads to the age-old question, which is the BEST bullet for 100% of likely hunting scenarios--that question has yet to be answered, as evidenced by the bullet discussions we all read on this site.

The SST will kill an elk, but the hunter must decide what angle he feels confident in shooting the animal. A close-timber quartering to/away or frontal raking shot might result in a wounded animal with a bullet that's too lightly constructed, but a longer shot with a bullet that's too tough to expand sufficiently might also result in a wounded animal.

Shot placement is always key, and a hunter must be aware of their bullet's capabilities in each instance.

In this instance, if the OP is going out strictly for longer range shots at Elk, then my opinion is that he should pick a bullet accordingly (high, BC, "lightly" constructed, etc) If he's going out for normal elk conditions, which are usually shots at 300yds or less, I would pick a bullet that might sacrifice on BC, but has a greater impact velocity envelope.

My take on your two velocities, Upacreek, is this--and I hope members will chime in if I'm wrong. A lower velocity will aid a bulllet in penetration (especially on a design that's main attribute is rapid expansion) because it has less violent forces acting on it upon impact. The higher the impact velocity, the faster the expansion and therefore subsequent disintegration of the bullet if it has no mechanical aspect of the design to keep it held together (bonding, monolithic construction, partition, etc) within that impact velocity envelope.

There is also such a thing as too slow of impact velocity as well, which will fail to open a bullet if it is TOO tough due to the above mechanical features (bonding, monolithic, partition, etc) so it ultimately leads to the age-old question, which is the BEST bullet for 100% of likely hunting scenarios--that question has yet to be answered, as evidenced by the bullet discussions we all read on this site.

The SST will kill an elk, but the hunter must decide what angle he feels confident in shooting the animal. A close-timber quartering to/away or frontal raking shot might result in a wounded animal with a bullet that's too lightly constructed, but a longer shot with a bullet that's too tough to expand sufficiently might also result in a wounded animal.

Shot placement is always key, and a hunter must be aware of their bullet's capabilities in each instance.

In this instance, if the OP is going out strictly for longer range shots at Elk, then my opinion is that he should pick a bullet accordingly (high, BC, "lightly" constructed, etc) If he's going out for normal elk conditions, which are usually shots at 300yds or less, I would pick a bullet that might sacrifice on BC, but has a greater impact velocity envelope.

72946_10201515281220237_1893206698_n.jpg

I'm in Nevada buddy, 300 yards is a short shot =P

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.