To move or not to move

Elkriver

So I've been trying to bag a yote for the last 4 years all hunting season for white tail a new yote track would appear every few days so after deer season I went back few weeks later still fresh tracks ... So I but up a bait pile with cameras no flash yote came in twise while I wasn't Thier ... Tryed calling no luck get pics of bob cats every 2-3 days .. My ?? Is I haven't been Thier in 4 days camra sends pic to phone list that came in bob cats ratcoon jumbo crows halks small eagle I think or terky buzzard... tell when I get other pics .. No yotes at all it's rained here twice any reason they woundnt come to bait pile .. Thier was like 14 inches of show in woods ..

Some coyotes are terribly high strung - shy. They won't approach situations that stress them out. I've observed their tracks during trapping seasons as they approach winter-killed moose or scent-based trap sets. Sometimes they won't even come in to feed on a natural moose kill. They'll circle around from 10-30 yards and simply leave. I've seen their tracks depart in a run from a scented trap set in the dead middle of winter. I know their behavior depends on how hungry and starvation stressed they are also. If they're really hungry, they'll take chances they wouldn't otherwise take. I've caught two in foothold traps that were set for lynx. Enclosed cubby sets that coyote will normally not approach. They don't normally approach enclosed areas. Both of these two coyotes had porcupine quills in the mouths and were willing to take some additional risk due to their hunger stress.

Some are just naturally born more shy than others. Some are trained to be shy due to having learned from prior experiences. Even lynx, which are normally pretty mellow, low-strung, and easy to lure into a scented cubby trap set can learn to avoid these risky situations and become very elusive and difficult to catch. I followed a set of very large lynx tracks one winter that approached three of my cubby sets - one after another. Circled around all three from a distance of about 6-8 feet, and simply continued on his way. Left me scratching my head. I took this as a challenge, but I never was able to catch that tom in a trap. He was obviously trap-smart. But as it turned out, he wasn't truck-smart. :) Later that season I bumped into him adjacent to the two-track trail at the end of the day after checking my trapline, and harvested him with a .22 pistol from a distance of about 15 feet. Big mature tom. Smart in one way. Not so smart in another.

Coyotes cover a pretty big territory. It may be a wary old coyote, or there may be other food sources that it knows about. Be patient. What kind of bait are you using?
I agree with the other post, and would try to get that cat. That would be a real prize for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.