When NOT to hunt coyotes?

Follow-up to my hunt down in the desert. No coyotes, but lots of jackrabbits.
This one was spotted hiding in the shade of a willow thicket at 130 yards.
60gr V-Max and lights out. Suzy is the beagle in training. She's awesome and learns very fast. The majority of jacks we harvest are due to her efforts.
SEMPER FIDELIS
Gonzo

Attachments

• Borrego Jac.jpg
    Borrego Jac.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 94
My expierience the wiley dog, is during matting season, a real good howler works best for me. The female in heat call and urine scent hasn't worked as well for me as the howler. It MUST be a challenge call, and "HE WILL COME"
The urine scents that can be purchased are OK, but, sometimes it just seems that the males know its not what they want. They shy away the moment they detect the scent. So I no longer use them.
Hope this tid bit helps you in your quest. :rolleyes:

The howler works well for me. After the mating thing is over, then the rabitt distress call works wonders. Crow calls are effective, but there does need to be some crows or ravens around.
Something else Ive tried is a turkey call. And in the mid-late spring a fawn distress call brings them in too.

I like your comment on logging. I hauled logs for years on the Oregon coast. When I was young and had brown hair.:D

I was never a logger but I saw what happened to Oregon when the bunny huggers got most of them shut down and they are still doing it.
We don't have crows around here but.we have alot of Ravens! Woodpeckers too. I don't understand the woodpeckers because we don't have trees just sagebrush. lol
Fawns both deer and antalope are around here. I give them all a try, the dieing rabbit hasn't worked very well for about a year now. I hope the new batch won't get wise to soon.
Rupe

The dieing rabbit. The coyotes get real smart real fast. EVERYBODY is hunting coyotes now. So they smarten up fast. Ive found that they do respond to the rabitt call, but they stay far away,300-400 yards, sit down and watch.
So, I watch for the white patch on the chest, usually gives them away, as it is usually brighter than surronding light colored brush. And of course, if the white spot moves a little more than it should if the wind is blowing, then you know.
Ive also found, if you have magpies in the area, they will follow the coyote to wherever he/she is standing/sitting. They will just sit in and on the tree/bush the little dog is under.
Ive never had them come to where I was hiding, they always seem to stay with the coyotes. Doesnt happen all the time, but often.
The best calls are mouth calls, after a fair amount of practice. But hunting/calling alone has its hazards for sure. So Im saving my money for a quality long range remote electronic. 100 yard remote would be great. But they run about $500.

That's all I have ever used was mouth calls. I am hoping to get an Elec. caller myself one of these days. I'm finding it harder and harder trying to call and spot long distance.coyotes anymore,
I was thinking about a decoy like a wobbling wabbit or what ever it's called. I have.tried feathers and stuffed toy rabbits. But nothing!

I would guess there are a number of reasons things do and do not work. The coyotes nose, the amouny of scent we leave on things, wind direction, how much we move etc.
What I do know is I killed more coyotes when all I did was walk to a hide, and used my mouth call.
No setting up of anything, other than me sitting down, concealed. Paying attention to wind direction, how much I am moving, and how well i blend in.
And I stopped wasting money on scent masking products. Even if I sprayed myself silly, there was always some area of my body/clothing that let my scent out.
THE ONLY reason I started using electronic calls with a remote, is I hunt alone and several times I attracted a couger, and I was not aware of it.
I was sitting in the middle of a large sage bush I had carved the center out of the day before. I had nothing at my back, to protect me from ambush. Cougers are an ambush predator in the exstreme. Last thing I want to expierience is one of them jumping on me.
I have a friend that is an avid coyote hunter. He lives in a couger populated area. He wears a holloween mask on the back of his head. He feels that sonce lions may not attack you if they think you are looking at them, he is safer than without the mask. I really dont know, but when hunting alone, I can't see the harm in being prepared.

We have that problem up here but with bear.
In the dead of winter its not a problem. This time of your it can be . A truck mirror works pretty good.
I keep my 45 Colt Blackhawk loaded with heavy hard cast handy just incase

Ya man. i usually carry my 4inch 629 smith. i use 240 grain jacketed flat nose bullets. usually hornadys. love that gun. guys ask me why a 4inch instead of a 7 1/4 inch barrel. cause it comes outa the holster quicker.
you never know what will walk up to your hide, everything from a four legged nasty to a 2 legged moron.
im going on a 3 day coyote, mountain lion hunt next weekend. real remote area. i leave a week from today and ill be back the following monday. im going to be ranch sitting, so ill have plenty opportunity to hunt. real pretty area. lots of obsidian, sage, and juniper, with lots and lots of rocky ridges to glass for cats.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.