To inside ream or neck turn

I also use a K&M neck turner but turning necks requires that I ream out the donuts and adds work to my prep.
I use the K@M with the mandrel that has the cutter for a donut because I neck down 30-06 lapua brass for 6.5x06AI and 270 WSM down to 6.5WSM no neck ream die needed. If you inside neck ream your bound to get cold welding.

I use the K@M with the mandrel that has the cutter for a donut because I neck down 30-06 lapua brass for 6.5x06AI and 270 WSM down to 6.5WSM no neck ream die needed. If you inside neck ream your bound to get cold welding.
I all ways worried abut cold weld and in the past ammo left over the winter did not work quit as well as fresh loaded ammo so I went to mica in the necks befor bullet seating and it seams to work on stored ammo

Do you polish your necks when your done. Reaming will leave a rough finis. I tried inside reaming years ago and stopped because of it.

IF you have to ream to get rid of donuts you do not know how to neck turn. An expanding mandrel will push the donut out and if you neck turn slightly into the shoulder to start with you will not get donuts. Worst case one push with correct size expanding mandrel later and slight touch up takes care of any donuts.

BH, Allow me to clarify, I assure you I do know how to neck turn.
I do not ream to get rid of donuts, this is a byproduct of the process, a bonus if you will. The neck ream die is a special tool mostly required for shooters that reform cases that tends to accumulate material at the neck, this requires thinning the neck, the reaming process allows this to be done quickly and very accurately in one pass with no possibility of a donut forming...ever.
Your method will introduce a donut into the the neck shoulder junction, the only way to resolve this is to cut into the shoulder..............I do not want to cut into the shoulder.
my .02
BB

I have never experienced this, are you making an assumption that this will happen?
BB
No it is a proven fact cold welding does happen.when you shoot 1/2 inch groups or less with new ammo then go to older a year or more stored ammo and yourr groups open to 3/4 or more. a lot of shooter will seat the bullet long and store then seat to correct depth just before a match.

I also use the K&M system with a reaming mandrel. No donut, no problem. Variable speed drill on very low with some lube and it does a really nice job. I will say I bought Lapua brass for my 223 and the necks were perfect to start and they all weighed the same. No need for trimming or weight sorting.

I have found the same using Lapua brass in numerous cartridges. Also did away with annealing.

Although Lapua brass is great I still anneal it. Any brass will work harden, some worse than others.

Using Lapua, I haven't seen any material differences in seating pressure, ES,or accuracy with as many as 20+ reloads(depending on the particular cartridge). I have not found this to be the case with all brass I have worked with. Brass being an alloy, I suspect all brass is not equal in it's production process.

Last edited:
BH, Allow me to clarify, I assure you I do know how to neck turn.
I do not ream to get rid of donuts, this is a byproduct of the process, a bonus if you will. The neck ream die is a special tool mostly required for shooters that reform cases that tends to accumulate material at the neck, this requires thinning the neck, the reaming process allows this to be done quickly and very accurately in one pass with no possibility of a donut forming...ever.
Your method will introduce a donut into the the neck shoulder junction, the only way to resolve this is to cut into the shoulder..............I do not want to cut into the shoulder.
my .02
BB
If you think that cutting into the shoulder is an issue, then you do not know how to neck turn. Simple as that.
Even guys who choose to ream large amounts of material out of necks 99% of the time neck turn for the final cuts as it is smoother and cleaner than any reaming, no matter how done.

Last edited:
If you think that cutting into the shoulder is an issue, then you do not know how to neck turn. Simple as that.
Even guys who choose to ream large amounts of material out of necks 99% of the time neck turn for the final cuts as it is smoother and cleaner than any reaming, no matter how done.

I have tried to respond In a polite manner but you insist on more than one post to go out of your way and insult my abilities by stating that I do not know what I am doing. I am asking you to stop doing that and allow me to post my opinion without insulting me. If you have pertinent facts then post them and explain how you think your method is "better" but be prepared to get challenged, but don't insult others methods.
BB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.