To brush or no to brush

fetch

Wasn't sure where to post this.

So do you guys use bore brushes on your long range rifles or not?

I like to use a cotton swab on lightly fouled barrels to apply the bore solvent.

But on barrels with more fouling I use the bronze brushes and follow up with the swab
for a final cleaning.

On severely fouled barrels (Factory Mostly) I use bronze and a strong solvent like the
Sweets.

There are people that don't use bronze at all and that's fine but it sometimes takes a lot
longer to get it clean.

I would recommend what ever method best suits the condition of your rifle bore. Also, a
proper break in will reduce the amount of cleaning you will have to do.

J E CUSTOM

Never a brush on any of my rifles. And one of them has a factory barrel. Did the Tubbs Final Finish process on the factory barrel when it was new and learned that the brush was not needed. The other barrels are Liljas.

I used to not use a bronze brush, while getting my barrel to a mirror-like finish... One day I tried a brush after I cleaning my barrel to see if I was really getting it clean. I then realized that dirt can be polished to a mirror-like finish.

Last edited:
Generally try not to. Might depend in part on the solvent you use. I would use a nylon brush for example with patch out to create a sudsing effect.

I went out with a bench rest buddy a bit ago.45 shots that morning. Soon as we got back he saturated patch and barrel, then let it soak a bit, barrel tilt down. Then came back to it and hit it with a nylon brush,may have to double check that. He has record breaking kreiger barrels. After lunch he said he would patch it out, this was a new barrel with about 250 down it.Said he cleans about at 50.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.