Timber scope

TC338

Ok guys, not long range, this is for my timber hunting rifle. Scope is going on a sub 5lb 6.5 grendel bolt gun so weight is important. The farthest this rifle will be shot is about 300 yards. Looking for recommendations on light weight, 2nd focal plane scope with very good light transmission. Most of my shots will come in the last 10 minutes of legal light in heavy timber. Illumination is a bonus.

Leupold VX3hd 2.5-8x36! Don't let the 36 objective fool you, this scope will let in a lot of light! Very light in weight also. If you want more magnification the VX3 3.5-10 is another great lightweight option.

I also am a fan of the Leupold 2.5-8x36. At 4 power the exit pupil is 9mm. At 6 power (my default setting) exit pupil is 6mm. If you are eligible for Medicare, 6mm is about the size of your dilated pupil at dusk.

At 12 ozs they are light.

A new one in VX-3HD configuration is about $500.

They are not illuminated.

In my opinion the leupold fire dot scopes are good for that type hunting. In the past I purchased leupold scopes with the heavy duplex . Good for In the woods and last light shooting but leupold no longer offers the heavy duplex reticle.

Take a look at the Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL - Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter
The VX-3HD delivers outstanding performance in low light. With Leupold's Elite Optical System, it has excellent dawn-to-dusk light transmission for a bright image when it matters most, elite-level glare reduction in harsh light, and the resolution and clarity that diehard hunters and shooters demand. The illuminated FireDot® reticle with seven brightness settings and easy-to-use illumination dial will get you on target fast, even in harsh daylight.

Recent Posts