tikka t3 lite

tscott

I have really appreciated this groups help in the past. I have a question for any of you 25-06 guys that like to load. My gun is a tikka lite, with a 22 7/8 barrel. I'm finding that the gun likes the following load: 49.1 GR of IMR 4350 with Burger 115 VLD's. My accuracy is real good, but when I stretched it to 600 yds., it was dropping to much. A friend of mine went to the range with me and we measured the velocity at about 2900. I know the gun has a relatively short barrel but I would like to achieve between 3100 and 3200. Are my expectations to high? Do any of you have suggestions for a different load? Is the short barrel going to be a big obstacle?
Thanks, Tim G

A couple of thoughts. You could probably work up to about 51 grains but maybe your accuracy won't be so good. Slower powders may give you a bit more velocity and I think you should be able to get about 3050 with the barrel.

BUT when I compare the speeds of 2900 or 3100fps with a 300 yd zero on a ballistic program it says that there will be about a 54" drop at 600 yds vrs a 47" drop at the higher speed. I guess what I'm thinking is both drops are very significant and require you to really know your drop tables. To me either velocity requires you to know exactly what you are doing to make a good hit and the difference in velocity really won't help you be more accurate.

To be accurate at that range you have to find a really accurate load and if you have more accuracy at 2900 you will make better hits than a less accurate load at 3100. I guess what I'm asking is why you think you need more speed to be more accurate??

Kraky, Thanks for your input. I appreciate your point about accuracy being more important than the drop.The gun is zeroed at 200 yds. My ballistic program says if my volume is 3100, drop would be 59.6 and the energy would be 1176 lbs., compared to 1008 lbs. and 68.83 drop @ 2900. Also my accuracy didn't suffer at 600. I was satisfied with the groop, so maybe I should be happy with this load. This gun is going to be used for Antelope and deer.
Thanks again, Tim G

You could probably get a tad more speed with a RE22 or 4831 powder. It might be interesting to experiment. I'll bet accuracy will be fine also.

The T-3 is an excellent factory gun. I have one in 300 win mag and it is a tack driver. Best group for me has been a .9"/300yd/5 shot but I know there was some luck. But the gun definately is capable of well under moa.

I wish our range was longer than 350 so I could play a bit more with my ballistic plex reticle.

BTW---my tikka is a little "slow" for caliber. With it's 25" barrel it's actually almost 100 fps slower than my 24" savage with a 24" barrel. BUT, with the "unfussiness" of the Tikka it is definately my "go to" gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.