Limp loads in a modern tikka t3 lite 6.5x55

Brasher

Getting EXCELLENT accuracy out of my tikka but would like to stretch her legs if possible..
Right now I'm loading
Norma fire formed
CCI 200
Barnes LRX 127
COAL 3.145
IMR 4064 36grn @ 2386 5 shots 1 ragged hole..
IMR 4451 43.4,43.6,43.8... All right at 2495 with 1 at 2483 and hi was 2501.. Crazy..almost no deviation within 3 powder loads... .
And can shoot all nine within .75 on a bad day... Everything I pushed higher got more spread.. Right n high as expected but even though I'm at or above book Max for a swede at 45k.. I'm showing NO pressure signs at 45.2 grains of 4451@2630... (But really spreading out)... Am I right in front of another node or is this the best I can expect out of my short factory barrel?
That being said Nosler trophy grade140 accubonds shoot 1.25"@2346 with 53fps deviation 3 shots.. Box lists 2650 (much longer barrel I'm sure)...
Thoughts, comments, experiences all welcome..

Pick up the Speer #14 manual, it has two listings one for the older military actions and one for modern commercial actions. There is approximately a five grain increase in the powder charge with the newer actions.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and the pressures for older military rifles are usually given for the oldest models made.

Example the No.4 Enfield rifle was made of higher grade steel than the No.1 Enfield rifle. And the No.4 Enfield rifle was latter chambered in .308/7.62

In your Tikka you are only limited by the strength of the brass, and Lapua and other European ammunition manufactures will be making the strongest brass.

If you're getting one hole accuracy, I wouldn't change a thing. The velocity is fine for shooting steel. I have an old Mosin that I sporterized that shoots .3" - .5" groups at 2400 fps but a max charge is around 2880. But as I go past 2400 it only opens up. At max load it shoots around 1.5" groups. So I keep it loaded around 2400 and I shoot it out to 800 yards with no problems. It's plenty accurate enough and has plenty enough power to really swing that gong.

With a 127 grain bullet I'm not sure what you max effective range on game would be. I've heard those need pretty good velocity to expand well, but I've never used them.

Anyways. Don't let the speed discourage you if the accuracy is there. Accuracy is king. No point in getting the bullet there faster if it doesn't go where you want it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.