Tikka T3 Lite .300 win

I know of at least one gunsmith on this Forum that drills a single hole in the top of the Muscle Brakes that don't have a hole on the top. Some downward force to resist muzzle rise, but not enough force to bend the barrel down into banana form. So that's what I did with my Mini-Mag Muscle Brake, and will also do with my 4-port Magnum Muscle Brake.

Darrel Holland's muzzle brakes have been drilled on top for a long time now.

So I think it's more a matter of preference than negative affects on rifle accuracy. I've also heard from gunsmiths that report that even if the hole in a muzzle brake isn't exactly concentric around the bullet's diameter, they haven't seen negative affects on rifle accuracy. That would be a greater cause of differing gas pressure action on the base of the bullet leaving the muzzle than a port hole drilled into the top of a brake - to my way of thinking.

Sounds like the key is sizing the top port correctly. Still not my preference but it's great to hear the top port designs work so well without effecting accuracy.

Sounds like the key is sizing the top port correctly. Still not my preference but it's great to hear the top port designs work so well without effecting accuracy.

That's what's great about it; "WE" have plenty of choices to choose from our individual preferences and members always willing and able to share experiences to helps us make an informed decision.

My Savage 111F in .300 Win Mag has a thinner barrel then the Tikka T3 Lite and it sports a Holland QD brake without any problem.

The lighter barrels that jump so badly without a brake are the best candidates for a top port brake design in theory to tame the jump ... I honestly never would have had the guts to try it just because the lighter barrels are also so whippy.

Until you posted this up I had not seen real proof that a top port design on a thin barrel could be done correctly.

At some point we are all (hopefully) in the same position that the OP is right now ... new rifle and trying to decide on components. Whether it be deciding on a stock, scope, brake, etc... the hardest part is figuring out what's the best for you. Without forums like this it's nearly impossible to understand how different components work and what is ideal for your setup. I almost feel like the top players manufacturing this hardware could do a little better job providing information about their products.

Case and point is a couple years back I called Elk Meadows about their Titanium brake and asked if they would make me a brake without a top port. They just said no ... that's it. Nothing wrong with their response, they were completely nice, but it would have been helpful if they had followed up the "no" with some reasoning ... such as "we sized the top port design all the way down to a #2 barrel and have video to prove the barrel is not contacting the stock".... or something along those lines.

Anyways, thanks for providing more info on the top port designs. The OP should have plenty of info to make a good decision. The only thing I'm upset about is why didn't you tell me about your top port brake experience a few years ago? :rolleyes:

The only thing I'm upset about is why didn't you tell me about your top port brake experience a few years ago? :rolleyes:

L:DL! Sorry my friend, when I joined in 2008 and before I had the courage to join, I have been reading others' post on various effective MBs with side ports and holes on top with very good success and satisfaction.

I shot magnums for 30+ years and didn't have my 1st MB (Holland's QD) until 2003. Most of my rifles now have MBs including the non-magnums. No I am not recoil sensitive but if I can tame down the muzzle rise/fall and felt recoil, and shoot them more pleasantly (esp. my wife) then I'll pay the extra money to have it done. :cool:

Cheers!

Thanks for all the great input! Still trying to decide on the brake but I'm loving the comments. I can definitely see how building a custom rifle could get addicting....:D

A 300 Win Mag can exhibit SOME really stout recoil and the lighter the rifle the more pronounced the recoil can be. If your T3 300 Win Mag will be a hunting rifle, I would not worry too much about recoil. Use a Past Pad at the range if recoil bothers you. My light-weight Browning X-Bolt bothers me, and I use one if I'm shooting more than dozen or so rounds at the range. When I'm hunting I never notice the recoil. After shooting a couple rifles with brakes or that have been ported, I know that I will never own one. A bruised shoulder will heal, my hearing will not. I have a T3 in a 7mm-08 and it is the most accurate rifle I own. I would not hesitate to buy a Tikka T3 in a 300 Win Mag and would NEVER have it ported or braked.

A 300 Win Mag can exhibit SOME really stout recoil and the lighter the rifle the more pronounced the recoil can be. If your T3 300 Win Mag will be a hunting rifle, I would not worry too much about recoil. Use a Past Pad at the range if recoil bothers you. My light-weight Browning X-Bolt bothers me, and I use one if I'm shooting more than dozen or so rounds at the range. When I'm hunting I never notice the recoil. After shooting a couple rifles with brakes or that have been ported, I know that I will never own one. A bruised shoulder will heal, my hearing will not. I have a T3 in a 7mm-08 and it is the most accurate rifle I own. I would not hesitate to buy a Tikka T3 in a 300 Win Mag and would NEVER have it ported or braked.

I spent my 1st 10 years in the USAF on the flightline; my hearing improved when I transition from F-4 to A-10 aircraft and significantly improved when I got out of the flightline ... it is due in part on proper hearing protection and safety practice. I am one of those people that wear gloves, eye protection, steel toed shoes, hearing protection when I am mowing my lawn, yard work, or prolonged exposure on any high noise level activities, and shooting/hunting is no exception. :):D:cool:

I am also one of those people that refused to put muzzle brakes on my rifles for quite some time. As noted above; I shot magnums for 30+ years before having my 1st brake in 2003.

Muzzle brake is definitely not for everybody and it boils down to personal choice/preference. Most people think of muzzle brakes as reducing felt recoil, however, another benefit is that of muzzle rise/fall control (now used on .22s and air rifles). A well designed muzzle brake can do both ... seeing target on impact is priceless. lightbulb

Yes, it also comes with a disadvantage; increased noise level and muzzle blast but with proper hearing protection and safety awareness, it can reduce/control the disadvantage.

I too have a magnum PAST recoil pad that I bought many years ago that is now just taking up space. To the OP, if you feel this is a good solution for you, let me know I'll give you a really good deal ... I mean it. :rolleyes:

pas_3000-10.jpg

Thanks for all the great input! Still trying to decide on the brake but I'm loving the comments. I can definitely see how building a custom rifle could get addicting....:D

lightbulbJust make sure you allow ample time for your gunsmith to install your MB and for you to start enjoying it; preferably before your hunting season starts.lightbulb

FEENIX, I agree with you about wearing good hearing protection at the range to tame the effects of ported or braked rifles. And, you are also correct about the benefits of brakes and porting for reducing muzzle jump. I use hearing protection regardless of the caliber when shooting at my gun club range. In fact, it is required. However, I use all my rifles for hunting and, hearing protection just doesn't work well in the field when hunting. I have learned to deal with the muzzle jump, which seldom affects my accuracy in the field. Finally, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!

FEENIX, I agree with you about wearing good hearing protection at the range to tame the effects of ported or braked rifles. And, you are also correct about the benefits of brakes and porting for reducing muzzle jump. I use hearing protection regardless of the caliber when shooting at my gun club range. In fact, it is required. However, I use all my rifles for hunting and, hearing protection just doesn't work well in the field when hunting. I have learned to deal with the muzzle jump, which seldom affects my accuracy in the field. Finally, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.