"Checkmate" wins #2/Backpacking hunt trip

This past fall me and two Army buddies , all three of us combat wounded enjoyed a great week in Salmon ID. For someone with severe lower extremity injuries I was fortunate to take a 5x5 bull elk, however I saw a big muley and now my focus for next year is to gear up and get up high to chase them big muleys ! The mountains if Idaho were so awesome. I can't wait to make the trip next year. I like the fact you and your brothers backpacked in, seems like a good way to get out there!

This past fall me and two Army buddies , all three of us combat wounded enjoyed a great week in Salmon ID. For someone with severe lower extremity injuries I was fortunate to take a 5x5 bull elk, however I saw a big muley and now my focus for next year is to gear up and get up high to chase them big muleys ! The mountains if Idaho were so awesome. I can't wait to make the trip next year. I like the fact you and your brothers backpacked in, seems like a good way to get out there!

Congrats on the elk and thank you for your service.
What is the story behind the elk??

Thanks!

Randy

Re: "Checkmate" wins #2/Backpacking hunt triple

Well my elk was the satellite bull, the herd bull I had dead in my sights at 90yds after making a 2 hour creep to get into position in the dark at first light. We were given permission to use a private ranch property to gain access to some BLM land. 2 days of scouting showed the elk herd would come out of the high hills and feed in the cattle fields during the night and then make their way back up the hills first thing in the morning. Anyways after low crawling to my ambush position that would give me a spot to catch the herd as they exited the private property. Some other hunters saw me in a prime spot and shot the herd bull while it was still on private land. The hunters then brought in a 4 wheeler, cut through the fence and cut the head off and what meat they could and rode off. I sat there watching this all unfold and figured that this must be the "chaos" of public land hunting you always here about. After the morning session I was walking back down a dirt road, and the remaining herd tried to make a break and jump a fence about 300 yards from me. Then I heard the familier sound of "whiz" go over my head, I jump to a berm and looked back up the hill, there I saw some fool pointing his rifle over me trying to shoot into the herd. I waved at the guy and looked through my binos at him, the he pointed in another direction and shrugged his shoulders like he didn't do it! Well after I got back over to where some of,the wranglers were working they asked if I had shot in their direction, I told them nope it was some crazy on the hill they asked if I got,the big bull, I told them I had him in my crosshairs but opted to do the right thing and wait for him to leave the posted property but someone else above me shot the bull and cut the fence to retrieve it. They were upset to hear that, then one of the guys asked me for my binos and looked up the hills and said he saw a bull bed down and hide. He asked me if I wanted to go get after him and I said let's go. After 2 years in a hospital and 9 months learning to walk on a leg that I don't think the doctors were expecting to see the mountains of Idaho I grunted it out and we closed the distance to 100 yds and I was able to take a good shot with my 338-06. I was super excited and proud. Next year I'm going back and gonna figure out how to get to those monster muleys!

Re: "Checkmate" wins #2/Backpacking hunt triple

Well my elk was the satellite bull, the herd bull I had dead in my sights at 90yds after making a 2 hour creep to get into position in the dark at first light. We were given permission to use a private ranch property to gain access to some BLM land. 2 days of scouting showed the elk herd would come out of the high hills and feed in the cattle fields during the night and then make their way back up the hills first thing in the morning. Anyways after low crawling to my ambush position that would give me a spot to catch the herd as they exited the private property. Some other hunters saw me in a prime spot and shot the herd bull while it was still on private land. The hunters then brought in a 4 wheeler, cut through the fence and cut the head off and what meat they could and rode off. I sat there watching this all unfold and figured that this must be the "chaos" of public land hunting you always here about. After the morning session I was walking back down a dirt road, and the remaining herd tried to make a break and jump a fence about 300 yards from me. Then I heard the familier sound of "whiz" go over my head, I jump to a berm and looked back up the hill, there I saw some fool pointing his rifle over me trying to shoot into the herd. I waved at the guy and looked through my binos at him, the he pointed in another direction and shrugged his shoulders like he didn't do it! Well after I got back over to where some of,the wranglers were working they asked if I had shot in their direction, I told them nope it was some crazy on the hill they asked if I got,the big bull, I told them I had him in my crosshairs but opted to do the right thing and wait for him to leave the posted property but someone else above me shot the bull and cut the fence to retrieve it. They were upset to hear that, then one of the guys asked me for my binos and looked up the hills and said he saw a bull bed down and hide. He asked me if I wanted to go get after him and I said let's go. After 2 years in a hospital and 9 months learning to walk on a leg that I don't think the doctors were expecting to see the mountains of Idaho I grunted it out and we closed the distance to 100 yds and I was able to take a good shot with my 338-06. I was super excited and proud. Next year I'm going back and gonna figure out how to get to those monster muleys!

Well, good for you for doing the only and right thing to do. It simply amazes me to no end on how many "hunters" trespass and do illegal things. It's a lot more than one thinks. Congrats on an elk and congrats on getting out of the hospital and on getting out there!

Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.