Tikka Stock

ViperD

Hey everyone,

I recently had a tikka barrel threaded for a muzzle brake. While doing so I had the gunsmith swap the Tikka t3 stock for a tikka t3x stock I purchased. When I got the gun back I noticed the barrel seems to be sitting higher in the barrel channel of the stock. I mentioned this to the gunsmith and he said it was fine and you don't want the barrel touching anyway.

How flush should the barrel be in that channel? There seems to be a decent gap. I am wondering if the recoil lug didn't fit back into the action slot all the way when putting it back together.

Maybe I am just being paranoid. Thoughts?

20221007_122131.jpg

Attachments

• 20221007_121546.jpg
    20221007_121546.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
  • 20221007_121602.jpg
    20221007_121602.jpg
    970.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 20221007_121611.jpg
    20221007_121611.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 135
Happened to me,the recoil leg was no seated correctly on mine.Took barreled action back out,put it back in and fixed the problem.
Had it happen on my tikka replaced scope twice gun would shoot fantastic one day the next like crap you will be able to tell because the top of the recoil lug will be scuffed up I replaced mine. David

The Tikkas I have worked with have always been a bit of a challenge to get that recoil lug seated properly. From that pic, I would say that you are not seated properly. I generally get it as close as I can, grab the bottom of the stock with one hand, the barrel with the other, and work them together in a parallel motion until it grabs how it should. The back of the action where it meets the stock should slide right into place smoothly. If it doesn't, it's still not right.

Hey everyone,

I recently had a tikka barrel threaded for a muzzle brake. While doing so I had the gunsmith swap the Tikka t3 stock for a tikka t3x stock I purchased. When I got the gun back I noticed the barrel seems to be sitting higher in the barrel channel of the stock. I mentioned this to the gunsmith and he said it was fine and you don't want the barrel touching anyway.

How flush should the barrel be in that channel? There seems to be a decent gap. I am wondering if the recoil lug didn't fit back into the action slot all the way when putting it back together.

Maybe I am just being paranoid. Thoughts?

View attachment 399647
That's A bigger gap than my T3X; mine is about 1/8".

Agree one time mine didn't seat right. Removed and put back paying a bit more attention and worked as shoot. 1/8" or so.

Easy way to tell the pressure relief hole on the side of the action should be sitting at the edge of the stock not above it if it's above your action has rode up on the recoil lug. David

Would you say it's sitting too high?

Attachments

• 20221009_110527.jpg
    20221009_110527.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
It may be that the stock you got was for the T3x Varmint which has a larger barrel diameter, It looks like your barrel may be the Lite, Or a sporter contour. If the recoil lug is seated properly and you still have the gap, My guess is the barrel channel in the stock is for a larger barrel. Just something to check.