Wood Stock options for a Tikka T3?

CjC73

Looking for recommendations on purchasing a wood stock for my ss barreled action. Preferably not a factory stock, something a little nicer. I'd like it inletted for the most part and shaped. I'd like to finish it to a high gloss.

Not sure if something like this is available or not.

Thanks

Boyds is mostly laminates, and their walnut stocks really are much in the figure dept. But, they are drop-in and need to be bedded. You can buy them finished or unfinished. Most pre-inletted stocks need a bit more inletting then most are willing to do. All will require some shaping and alot of sanding before sealer and finish is applied. You will need to install a butt plate or recoil pad, too. Pre-inlets that come with a recoil pad glued on are a real pain. When sanding, you have to be very careful not to drag recoil pad rubber on to and into the wood. I cut them off and install a template to do the sanding. So, much depends upon how much work you are willing to do, and can do.

That's kinda' the way it is. There used to be company that offered wood that had a bedding block that were basically "drop-in", but I don't recall their name. They were more expensive than a lot of synthetics. It was obvious they were machine made just by their shape and the 'bedding' was always over-sized so you had that 'drop-in'. Classic wood takes time and a reasonable amount of skill, neither of which are low cost. I pay more for a blank than what a Mc will cost. But I end up with a 'classic' stock that doesn't have a bunch of gaps and handles like a fine rifle should, besides being nicely figured. Have heard "that's too pretty to hunt with" a bunch of times, but that's what a rifle's for, to hunt with, not be a safe 'queen'.

Take a look at PSE Composites stocks.

They make a very nice varmint/tactical style stock, similar to the Manners MCST, but lighter and using high quality carbon fiber and resins.

I have used Mcmillan, Manners and PSE... and the latter are , in my opinion, better than the other two.

They also have longer pistol grip,, more tactical stock with adj. cheek piece (Etac).

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.