Tikka Hunter Stainless Steel

the blur

Brand new Tikka Hunter, SS. 7mm-08. Broke in property, put 30 rounds through it. It's not grouping. Like an 8" spread at 200 yards. I tried various boxed ammo. Does SS take longer to break in?
My other Tikka (blued) was sub moa out of the box.

I really don't want to send it back to Tikka just yet. It has a Swar Z8 on top.

Brand new Tikka Hunter, SS. 7mm-08. Broke in property, put 30 rounds through it. It's not grouping. Like an 8" spread at 200 yards. I tried various boxed ammo. Does SS take longer to break in?

Check and see if the barrel lug is seated in the barrel properly pretty easy to have it on top of lug instead of seated properly I know because it happened to me wasted a lot of components before I realized what was happening. David

No. stainless does not take longer to break in. I know a few good shooters who do not even bother to break in a new barrel. But a factory barrel is not a Krieger or Brux... Mass production can lead to high scrap values. I suggest having it borescoped and checked out by a good smith before investing in anything else. That gun just ain't right...

I just recommended one of those to my friend to buy for his son so I'm really interested to learn what the problem was with your gun. I've fired rounds in 4 tikks's in various calibers and they have all performed very well. Two were Stainless models. One in 300 WSM shot the last 4 inside 3/4 MOA during the initial break in.

As stated earlier - check the action lug first. I bet it's not seated correctly. Easy to do.
Please explain that in detail. The action was very stiff chambering & unchambering rounds, but very smooth with no rounds in the magazine.

Hard to type that much. Take the receiver out of the stock. Look at the recoil lug. Tikkas use a diff style recoil lug. You can actually fit the receiver back in the stock incorrectly and still snug the receiver down. If not properly seated it will screw everything up.
Look at it and this should make sense. If not, pm me

My son HAD the same "problem" with, his SS, 7mm-08 Tikka, using, any of, the longer, skinny, high BC, VLD type, Bullets and Rented, a "Throating Reamer" as the Factory, Throat angle was, too ABRUPT ! Some Reamer Rental Company, in Montana has them, at about, $50-60.00 rental + shipping, He hand reamed it, himself, then Polished Throat ( Leade ) area with, JB's. NOW, his Rifle is shooting the, Berger VLDH, 168's with, StaBall, into Sub 1/2 MOA, groups ! Might talk to, a "good" Gunsmith in your area about, THIS, issue ! We have had NO problems with, Tikka's in any other, Caliber and it took us, Month's of, shooting / Testing / thinking / studying, trying to figure out, WHAT, the PROBLEM, was !
Good Luck ! Hope this, help's !

Last edited:
I bought a stainless 6.5CM last year its been a great shooter sub MOA with hand loads if i do my part.. Would love to get another Tikka!! Hope you get it figured out and anxious to hear what was wrong..