Bedding with steel wool

bushwackr

I was thinking of trying bedding the stock on my rem with some devcon high strength epoxy and some thin sheets of steel wool. Has anyone tried it, I figured it would like rebar in concrete

I like the Devcon and have used it several times. I understand the idea of steal wool but have never had a problem or seen one that I felt there was a need to use a ductile agent with it. Bedding is about getting a full contact, non-compressible platform for your action.

Not worth the headache. If anything I think it would weaken your bedding because steel wool is not a rigid material. Thus it would just create a bunch of soft flexible channels in the bedding.

On another note, use the Devon steel "Puddy" for bedding, not the Epoxy. The Epoxy is weaker and a lot more runny. The Puddy has a creamy peanut butter like consistency when mixed properly and is much easier to work with.

Now for scope ring bedding, I do like the Epoxy better because it is much easier to mix small amounts and you only have to apply a somewhat thin layer on the rings

BW, there aren't many bedding materials that stick to the plastic "Tupperware" stocks, even if roughed up and holes drilled. Also any steel wool particles exposed will attract rust weakening the bedding. I bedded a plastic stock for a cash strapped kid, but it cracked in 3 places after about 30 firings wasting the cost of the material. He saved up and bought a Boyd's.

Over the years, I have mixed just about everything imaginable with my bedding compound, thinking it was giving me an advantage.
However, I found no significant advantage.

I bedded a tupperware rem 700 stock with Devcon Steel Putty and it worked great.

What I used to stiffen it was a piece of 1/8" stainless rod. I also mixed in some tungsten powder which you can find on Ebay.

Roughen up the area to be bedded with a dremel and wire brush attachment and drill plenty of holes to allow it to penetrate into the stock and it will bond very well.

It doesn't turn a cheap stock into a great stock but it will get you by pretty well till you can afford a good after maket stock.

I use stiff carbon arrow shafts to stiffen up tupperware stocks. They do a god job. Other then Gray Marine Tex most of my bedding jobs have been done with Devcon Steel Puddy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.