Tikka CTR .260 Rem 20''?

ZeeRo7

I am very interested in the Tikka CTR in .260 Remington. This rifle comes with all the features i currently want in a serious bolt gun without going the custom route (funds). With that being said, ive come to understand and appreciate calibers of the 6.5 variety, especially the .260 Rem. My only concern is with the 20" barrel. Will i be at a loss with the .260 out of a 20"? I also plan on hand loading the .260. It will be my intro into reloading as it has been a serious plan for me. Thoughts....? .260, 20" barrel....1000yds.

I am very interested in the Tikka CTR in .260 Remington. This rifle comes with all the features i currently want in a serious bolt gun without going the custom route (funds). With that being said, ive come to understand and appreciate calibers of the 6.5 variety, especially the .260 Rem. My only concern is with the 20" barrel. Will i be at a loss with the .260 out of a 20"? I also plan on hand loading the .260. It will be my intro into reloading as it has been a serious plan for me. Thoughts....? .260, 20" barrel....1000yds.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money and get a 20" barrel. 26" is more like it.

You will loose some velocity with the 20" barrel. My gut feeling is a .260 Rem will probably still reach out to 1000 yds before the bullet velocity transitions through the transonic region.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.