Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor freebore

highdrum

Does anyone have an actual dimension on these rifles chambers? It's definitely NOT the saami 199fb. My rifle and nephews are the same. I have modified a fired case with shoulder bumped 2k, and touching lands with a 156 berger I'm at 3.030" coal. This leaves about 0.120" of bearing surface in the neck. My 6.5x284 appears to have same bearing surface values in the neck, and that rifle has the new saami 300k freebore. Retarded I know.......I'm either gonna have to run a LOT of jump, or have very little bullet in the case neck. My 6.5x284 shoots very accurate 45-65k off lands, so maybe it won't be a problem.

Does anyone have an actual dimension on these rifles chambers? It's definitely NOT the saami 199fb. My rifle and nephews are the same. I have modified a fired case with shoulder bumped 2k, and touching lands with a 156 berger I'm at 3.030" coal. This leaves about 0.120" of bearing surface in the neck. My 6.5x284 appears to have same bearing surface values in the neck, and that rifle has the new saami 300k freebore. Retarded I know.......I'm either gonna have to run a LOT of jump, or have very little bullet in the case neck. My 6.5x284 shoots very accurate 45-65k off lands, so maybe it won't be a problem.
I have a one and the freebore is just right for the 147eld I want to shoot. I know Tikka freebore is too long for a lot of vld type bullets in this particular cartridge. I have only tried the 147 but I think the 135 berger Classic hunter or the 139 scenar would do well in this freebore due to their blunt nose. I just got a proof research 6.5 prc for a Tikka magnum action and the 156 Berger sits perfectly at the neck/shoulder
jct. and shoots great.

I have a one and the freebore is just right for the 147eld I want to shoot. I know Tikka freebore is too long for a lot of vld type bullets in this particular cartridge. I have only tried the 147 but I think the 135 berger Classic hunter or the 139 scenar would do well in this freebore due to their blunt nose. I just got a proof research 6.5 prc for a Tikka magnum action and the 156 Berger sits perfectly at the neck/shoulder
jct. and shoots great.
The bearing surface on the 147 eldm does have another 50k bearing over the 156. A 135 classic hunter has 90k less than a 156. The saami creedmoor of 199 freebore is perfect for a 156, but I think my Tikka is closer to 300fb vs 199. I'm gonna seat some 156s with the base the bearing surface just ahead the neck/shoulder junction and put as much rl26 I can get into this lapua SRP brass and light it with a CCI450 and see what it does.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time with my 6.5x284. The smith said it's got a .199 freebore. Im showing 140 Berger's/ ELDX 143s at 3.085 and 3.095 touching the lands. Does that seem like the throat is short to you guys? And if so should I get my throat lenthened?

The bearing surface on the 147 eldm does have another 50k bearing over the 156. A 135 classic hunter has 90k less than a 156. The saami creedmoor of 199 freebore is perfect for a 156, but I think my Tikka is closer to 300fb vs 199. I'm gonna seat some 156s with the base the bearing surface just ahead the neck/shoulder junction and put as much rl26 I can get into this lapua SRP brass and light it with a CCI450 and see what it does.
The Freebore is excessively long in my Tikka 6.5cm too. You'll need big jump, and the barrels are slow, however they just flat out shoot. I have the 135 Berger jumped .100-.125 and it shoots great. (Also Lapua/cci450). I would load to mag length, or neck shoulder junction as you have, and let it rip.