Tight necks worth it?

Shufisher

Trying to decide if I want a tight neck for a 257 Ackley (.284 neck). Any experiences or opinions regardless of caliber size would be greatly appreciated.

Shu

I own several tight neck guns. Other than for a highly precise benchrest rifle, the benefits of a tight neck chamber are overrated.

Chamber for a cartridge that will allow you to use first quality brass and forget about the tight necks.

Another idea would be to have a chamber cut that has a throat .002" larger in diameter than your loaded ammo. This would give you a tight neck that doesn't require neck turning. You would, however, have to keep a close eye on your reloads when you purchased different lots of brass.

Just my 2 cents - VH

they are worth it imho

why would br shooters all do it?

minimum working of brass, consistant neck tension.....

consistancy is everything remember!

derek

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>why would br shooters all do it?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I follow br and use what I can, wherever I can. But, you have to guard to being a slave to other disciplines.

Hunting is a different game.

I have one genuine tight neck rifle that I use for moderately long range hunting. &lt;shrug&gt; Then there was the neck turning and various bushings, yada yada, yada.

I tend to think a good barrel, on a sound action, assembled and bedded by a competent gunsmith, is all I need.

In other words, not exactly overrated, but not the ultimate solution, either. Of course, I'm surely no expert on the subject. Just my opinion. Basically, I'm responding to the rationale that tight necks are preferable because benchresters prefer them.

Good hunting. LB

What your try to do us lessen the amount of distortion the bullet receives in passing throught the throat and into the riflings and turning neck and making the case concentric to the chamber is one way. I know they have talked about indexing a round and from the post I've seen they are happy with the results. I've got rifles both with tight neck and regular chambers but I do clean up the necks on those. For me I started turning neck when I got into to Br and fully understand the benefits and been doing it so long it's just another step. The case,powder,bullet and primer cost the same if you turn neck or not so extra cost is turner and bushing type dies. And it does take some time but I think it's time well spent. Just my .02 worth

Thanks everyone for the insight.
Now if I wanted to have the throat cut .002 larger than the loaded round, do I need a loaded round or could I use the standard measurements found in manuals? I'm assuming a Pac-nor or good gunsmith will have several throaters per cal. for this type of request.

Shu

Shufisher, You need to measure some necks thickness on the cases you plan on using as they can vary. If your making your throat only .002 larger than the dia of your round you more than likely need to turn them .001 on each side isn't much about what the BR guy do. Take the neck dia you mentioned .284 less bullet dia .257 leaves .027 .002 for clearance leaves .025 divided by 2 leaves .0125 neck thickness. Most gunsmiths offer only certain dia and anything special you have to pay for. Good luck!

[ 11-30-2004: Message edited by: roper ]

Roper,
I am interested in the standard specs of .290 neck diameter. Understanding the ultra tight neck, would this still be as critical?
Thanks

Shufisher, You need to call who ever is going to chamber and find out what the neck dia is and go from there. I don't know what the neck thickness is of the brass you are going to use all I can say is with a .290 neck brass thickness has to be max .0155. Sorry cann't be of more help.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.