Tight Mag Box

Overkill338

I started with my M77 MKII 300 Win Mag today. This rifle (7+ years ago) shot better with a Hogue stock, than the Paddle stock. But since this rifle was passed back to me by my uncle when he left us, I'm going to try to make it as accurate as possible with the old Skeleton stock.

First thing, the mag box is tight once the action screws are tightened. Should I grind out the front slot where the pressure is, or wait until I bed it to see if it frees it up?
20190627_184100-1209x791.jpg

In the forend, I'm going to drill from the front, a small hole through those little partitions and put a threaded rod through it all. Then I'm going to fill all those cavities with epoxy, or JB Weld. Hopefully once it's all dry, the forend won't flex any more and I can float the barrel.
20190627_184518-1209x1612.jpg

I know it's a lot of trouble for a stock most people hate, but could be fun.

Option #2, I put the stock in the top of the closet, and get another Hogue or a Boyd's Pepper Laminate stock. With this option, the mag box question still stands. If the mag box is tight, does it really cause accuracy issues? I'm assuming it's bad harmonics?

I'm surprised nobody has answered. I'm not an expert at this but my gut feeling says to leave the mag box as is while you do the bedding to help set the Receiver to Bottom Metal spacing. Then after you get it bedded make sure the mag box is slightly loose in there.

I'm surprised nobody has answered. I'm not an expert at this but my gut feeling says to leave the mag box as is while you do the bedding to help set the Receiver to Bottom Metal spacing. Then after you get it bedded make sure the mag box is slightly loose in there.
Thanks! I loved my Hogue stock, and it was fantastic and just had the pillars. I'm still considering a OD Green with the full length block.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.