Tight Chamber 6.5-284

rtbddb

Good morning

I have an older (2005) custom built 6.5-284 rifle that has a tight chamber. It has blown primers when shooting factory loads and is very difficult to size brass for reloading. I think there are several dimensions for this cartridge and I'm unsure of which one this is.
My question:
Is it possible/recommented to have a gunsmith use the standardized 6.5-284 Norma reamer to improve the function of this rifle?
If yes, any recomendations on good gunsmiths? I'm in Central Ohio but would be willing to ship.

Thanks!
Todd

The main difference between the two is throat length allowing the Norma version to load bullets longer to allow more powder in the case. Have you tried bumping the shoulder back a couple of thousands. And, are you using new or once fired brass. If its once fired from another rifle it will have chambering issues. That all being said, have a gun smith look at it. Had a new savage long range hunter in the same caliber that did exactly the same thing. Bad chamber reamer.

A friend of mine bought a new savage 110 in 30-06. It was blowing primers with different brands of factory ammo. Savage had to replace the gun

Good morning

I have an older (2005) custom built 6.5-284 rifle that has a tight chamber. It has blown primers when shooting factory loads and is very difficult to size brass for reloading. I think there are several dimensions for this cartridge and I'm unsure of which one this is.
My question:
Is it possible/recommented to have a gunsmith use the standardized 6.5-284 Norma reamer to improve the function of this rifle?
If yes, any recomendations on good gunsmiths? I'm in Central Ohio but would be willing to ship.

Thanks!
Todd
Todd
Check with the GS that chambered/built the rifle. You may have a neck or throat issue.
We have built a custom 6.5-284 with a tight neck and long throat.
You may have a short throat.
Check it with a Modified Case.
We can send you a Modified Case for free to check if you have a Guage.
We also have a Gauge if you need one just pay for shipping to and from, but better off just buying a gauge.
PM us to discuss
Len & Jill

Last edited: