Throut Erosion??

zeb

I'm looking at a used 700 BDL 25-06

From what I cn tell it looks 98+% inside & out.

But with such a smok'in round is there an easy way to tell if there is any excessive throat erosion before I commit to buy??

Thanks in advance!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would just try to get a good idea of how many rounds have been put down the pipe and under what conditions. You may not get a honest picture of what the pipe has been through but this is not a real barrel burner and in the worst case it is a good action to work with for a future custom rig.

steve

The best way to check the bore and throat is with a Bore Scope. The only other way is to do what you've already done, and hope its not shot out. Either way you still have a good action should you decide to re-barrel.

Frank D

As the others have mentioned it's a toss up with out using a bore scope. However if you do purchase it, I suggest you clean it really well before shooting it. Maybe even using something a little aggressive like Sweets, or Montana Extreme. That way you know for sure that the copper is all out of the tube when you begin. Just be sure to follow the harsher agents up with something milder and then a couple of oiled patches to be sure.

With the 25 you can get some great loads with 115 - 130 gr bullets. If you do find the throat is eroded a bit, then you could also run one of the Final finish kits through it to slick it up some. Afterwords, by using the longer bullets, you could still get up close to the lands if you wanted to. However some rifles also have a sweet spot somewhat back off the lands a bit. Either way get it cleaned up and it might surprise you on the accuracy. Also if it doesn't shoot dime sized groups with the first 5 rounds, don't be too awefully upset. Mine usually takes about 5-10 rounds before it shrinks the groups into the nice one holers I love it for. Just something about that barrel it has had since I purchased it new.

Good Luck,

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts