Throat Erosion

I have .087 difference from when I measured it when it was new. Using same modified hornady case but I don't have the original bullet. This seems like a real high number.

That doesn't seem excessive.

There's many variables that can affect throat erosion. 1100 rounds is well over half the life of a 7 Rem Mag.

Are you losing accuracy?

It seems a little off but if I go back and seat my bullets out to the same measurement as when I started it should be better. What kind of round count would the barrel be expired at?

I've heard others say that 1800 is where they lost acceptable accuracy for long range I've only had one 7RM and it was a 3" @ 100yds at 1600 rounds. I was in my infancy of loading at the time and was all about the "go-faster" part of shooting.

Options A to Z...

If your accuracy drops off below your standard,,, re-barrel or pick up a new rifle,,, or,,, if it's holding even with in the distance you normally hunt,,, finish up the season then burn the pipe off at the range...

Make sure you have the re-placement barrel in hand so your not held up getting it installed by early summer if possible...

That way you can break in the new pipe and build up a load before the fall hunting season...

Make sure that you and your gun Smith friend are on the same page waaaaay ahead of the game plan...

Have a backup plan in place """for the just incase."""

I have 2 backup plans in my cabinet along with the main that's ready to go...

Only ideas to choose from,,, there are other options to pick from I'm sure...

Cheers from the North

I got 1700 good rounds from my 7WSM match gun, which was shooting a very similar load to my 7RM hunting rifle.

Barrel life is one of those voodoo things and I don't believe there's a set number in there, there are simply too many variables. As long as you're getting acceptable accuracy, you're good to go. When you see that accuracy drop off, it's time to address it. How much of a drop? Only you can know that! It all goes back to what is acceptable to you.
Cheers,
crkckr

I just checked my 7mm blaser rogue at 100 rds and eol 195 measured .008, hybrid 180 measured .01 since new.

I have a 7mm-08 AI that the accuracy fell off what I thought was unacceptable. I had my gunsmith move the barrel back. Problem solved. I think it could be a waste of money without having a look at this option first. New barrels aint cheap.

I inherited a Rem. 700 .264 Win. Mag from my Dad. How do I determine how much throat erosion has occurred in this 60 yo rifle? Is there some std measurement on what's new or what's too much? Sorry to be so clueless.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.