Threading a Remington bolt handle

70oldsracer

I need to give my barrel post a break lol! When turning down and threading a Remington bolt handle on a mill, I see you want to be left with a .3125" shank (for a 5/16-24 thread) that is .600" long. I've watched a few videos where guys have milled down the the side and top of the bolt first. My question is, approximately how much needs to be removed from the top of the actual original bolt knob to give you that .600" long shank? In this video, the guys mills all four sides of the knob to get it ready for the hollow mill cutter, but he also mills down the top of the knob. Is this just to make it square to the handle, or is there a certain amount of material that needs to be removed to achieve that .600"?

Thanks,

Frank

A machinist showed me this little tool and it takes the hate out of threading a handle. You can mount the cutter in a mill or do it in the lathe like I do. I'm sure you could use a drill press. Another option. I usually get about 20 handles out of each cutter
6498953D-5C88-4F36-8B55-D9C05091573A.jpeg

A machinist showed me this little tool and it takes the hate out of threading a handle. You can mount the cutter in a mill or do it in the lathe like I do. I'm sure you could use a drill press. Another option. I usually get about 20 handles out of each cutter
View attachment 161940
That's exactly how I did my last handle and the exact same cutter, it gives you the exact size shank for threading 5/16-24, but the shank came out a little long for off the shelf bolt knobs. If you look at the second pic, you can see the shank is not square to the handle. I ended up making my own knob and I just drilled and tapped it a little longer. I guess I'll just mill a little more off the top and it should be fine, thanks.
mYLa6P.jpg

wjyFT5.jpg

4GS8jX.jpg

In this video, the guys mills all four sides of the knob to get it ready for the hollow mill cutter, but he also mills down the top of the knob. Is this just to make it square to the handle, or is there a certain amount of material that needs to be removed to achieve that .600"?

This is Jeff Hayes when he was at GAP. He now owns River Bend Gun Co.

Milling the top of the bolt squares it with the bolt handle so the left over radius from the original knob doesn't interfere with the new knob. It gives you the exact point to measure from.

GAP now uses an older CNC mill to do all their bolt knobs.

This is Jeff Hayes when he was at GAP. He now owns River Bend Gun Co.

Milling the top of the bolt squares it with the bolt handle so the left over radius from the original knob doesn't interfere with the new knob. It gives you the exact point to measure from.

GAP now uses an older CNC mill to do all their bolt knobs.
Perfect, thanks.

Thank you. I make my handles too. Never the same and knurling different ways is always fun to mess with.

View attachment 161940
What diameter shaft Does that 5/8x1" annular cutter leave when cutting ?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.