Thoughts On Oregon & Washington As Hunting States

The upside in OR news is that the last election for Governor was closer than many expected.

47% Democrat and 44% Republican.

Still weighing my options and whether we stay here much longer. At some point, there may not be anywhere to run to?
Sad but true, Central ( Bend ,Redmond, Prineville) is now full of people that fell entitled to do what they want. ( run stops signs and lights then flip you off like youi did it to them!

California should be a lesson for the rest of us who love the 2A, hunting, and fishing. California used to be a sportsman's mecca. Some of the best hunting and fishing was there. And California was a firearms mecca too. Weatherby, Sierra, US Optics, Barrett, and Berger all started down there. I used to walk into several surplus warehouses and pick through hundred, if not thousands of curio and relic. FAL kits by the hundreds. Many of the shooting sports competitions started there including those spurred by Jeff Cooper. I got to train with the likes of John Pride, Scott Reitz, and Gabe Suarez. I even read that California had more privately owned firearms than the Chinese military. That is why I am pretty hardlined when it comes to the 2A. I've seen all the angles and tricks the left uses to attack it. I spent decades going to rallies to support fishing rights, voted for 2A rights and conservative politics in California. The whole time listening to "It can't happen here, you're crazy". And then watched all my predictions come true down there. If you think it can't happen to your area just look at California.
My father was a farm equipment salesman. I had some of the best hunting the Central valley had to offer. Friend of mine's Dad ran cattle in the capay valley we had 27,000 acres to play on. I sure do miss it, it was a mecca.

My father was a farm equipment salesman. I had some of the best hunting the Central valley had to offer. Friend of mine's Dad ran cattle in the capay valley we had 27,000 acres to play on. I sure do miss it, it was a mecca.
It sure was. I think you had a big warehouse there. Golden State Armory or something like that.

Idaho is full. Quickly turning purple. I never thought it would happen. Was run out of California in 94 because of politics and what I could see coming. It is here now. This time I think I will have to start pushing back. Getting too old to relocate. Feel sorry for my boys. I don't know where they will go?
Dig in, that's what I'm doing here, western Colorado is also becoming the new Denver metro, but as said, I've got grandkids here now and refuse to leave them. I have faith though that things will eventually turn, I don't know what it's going to take, but it will happen.

It sure was. I think you had a big warehouse there. Golden State Armory or something like that.
I don't recall that. I do remember gun shows at Cal expo literally being thousands of tables. We had a small army navy surplus store in our town I know they were common.

Back to the OP's original thread. I think what you're doing is exchanging apples for oranges. What's going on out here is not any better than what you have going on there. It may be best to look at just finding an inexpensive place to live where you can hunker down, and save up money to go out west to hunt. That's what it's turning into for those of us that live here anyways, it's a pay-to-play game. With what you have described I would look at Texas. Then just save up 20 grand to go elk hunting every 3 years or so.

I don't recall that. I do remember gun shows at Cal expo literally being thousands of tables. We had a small army navy surplus store in our town I know they were common.
If I remember correctly it was in Sacramento. A pretty large warehouse maybe it was called Golden West or something like that. It might have been closed off to the general public. It's been so long I can't remember.

Back to the OP's original thread. I think what you're doing is exchanging apples for oranges. What's going on out here is not any better than what you have going on there. It may be best to look at just finding an inexpensive place to live where you can hunker down, and save up money to go out west to hunt. That's what it's turning into for those of us that live here anyways, it's a pay-to-play game.
Sad but very true! And its expensive..........

I grew up in OR. Moved to CA for work after college but got driven out by politics by 93. Worked overseas and when it came time to retire, we moved to Okanagan valley in central WA in 09 and went all in to build on 40 acres. (Oregon had very high taxes and was already stupid liberal.)
Deer, bear and fishing were great. When Inesely got in as governor, WA went downhill as the western counties decided to push their agenda down hard on the east side. We abandoned the homestead in 21 and moved to MT. I still bird hunt in either WA or OR once a year with a college buddy but have to leave my carry pistol at home.
There is no way, I could recommend moving to either state. Bend, Oregon would definitely not get a nod even though it was a favorite when I was a kid. If you have to move to either, I would definitely suggest something east of the Cascades. At least many of your neighbors might share something in common in terms of hunting and fishing values. With all the disclaimers aforementioned, you might want to give the Wenatchee area in central WA a look. It has hunting and fishing opportunities and access to most things your wife will expect.
While it might be tempting to get 40 acres out in the boonies when you choose a place, remember both states are trying hard to cram down electric vehicles which could put folks in the outlands in a bind. Fortunately, MT doesn't seem headed down this path or I'd be in a bind.

Good luck

So I've lived in oregon for 30+ years, Idaho for 4. I'm back in oregon and won't leave, primarily due to family. To answer your actual question and not get bogged down in the political drama -

I live in southern oregon, in the Medford area. 2 hours from the coast, everything you need in Medford, the woods aren't more than 30 minutes in any direction.

Blacktail hunting is hard, but we have some of the biggest blacktail in the country. The woods are thick with them. Some spots are crowded, but plenty are not. Blm has shut down some access roads due to illegal dumping, but spend an extra 10 minutes of driving and half an hour of walking and you will be in great country with no one around.

Predator populations are high, which means bear and lion hunting is great (although no dogs on hunts).

Elk leave a lot to be desired. That's the biggest detractor. In SW oregon, success rates for general rifle are about 5% for elk. You can find them, but there's not a lot. I grew up hearing stories of how thick the woods were with hunters during elk season but that hasn't been my experience the last 15 years or so. No one wants to walk, and where we hunt they shut a lot of roads down during season, so the heavy concentration of people is where road hunting is an open option.

Politically oregon is a confusing jumble, and who knows where it will go. The greater Idaho thing that everyone likes to talk about will never happen, just like the state of Jefferson will never happen.

So I've lived in oregon for 30+ years, Idaho for 4. I'm back in oregon and won't leave, primarily due to family. To answer your actual question and not get bogged down in the political drama -

I live in southern oregon, in the Medford area. 2 hours from the coast, everything you need in Medford, the woods aren't more than 30 minutes in any direction.

Blacktail hunting is hard, but we have some of the biggest blacktail in the country. The woods are thick with them. Some spots are crowded, but plenty are not. Blm has shut down some access roads due to illegal dumping, but spend an extra 10 minutes of driving and half an hour of walking and you will be in great country with no one around.

Predator populations are high, which means bear and lion hunting is great (although no dogs on hunts).

Elk leave a lot to be desired. That's the biggest detractor. In SW oregon, success rates for general rifle are about 5% for elk. You can find them, but there's not a lot. I grew up hearing stories of how thick the woods were with hunters during elk season but that hasn't been my experience the last 15 years or so. No one wants to walk, and where we hunt they shut a lot of roads down during season, so the heavy concentration of people is where road hunting is an open option.

Politically oregon is a confusing jumble, and who knows where it will go. The greater Idaho thing that everyone likes to talk about will never happen, just like the state of Jefferson will never happen.
I could see moving back due to family. I think about it because my good friends are in Bend. One good thing about your area is the chucks. I love rock chuck hunting.

I think Oregon has longer seasons in general than WA, certainly longer rifle season for elk. Lots of territory is pay to access, weyerhaeuser, rayonier, green diamond to name the biggest in my area. I hear weyco has moved into Western Montana too via plum Creek timber purchase/merger and is charging for access. Montana or Idaho probably the best choices for season lengths and public land available. No info about non res tags in Oregon or Washington, been Washington resident all my life but I wouldn't think WA is much of a non res hunting destination. I did see a really nice elk rack coming out in back of a truck this weekend though, from open access nf lands. So they are not only in limited access draw areas.

I think Oregon has longer seasons in general than WA, certainly longer rifle season for elk. Lots of territory is pay to access, weyerhaeuser, rayonier, green diamond to name the biggest in my area. I hear weyco has moved into Western Montana too via plum Creek timber purchase/merger and is charging for access. Montana or Idaho probably the best choices for season lengths and public land available. No info about non res tags in Oregon or Washington, been Washington resident all my life but I wouldn't think WA is much of a non res hunting destination. I did see a really nice elk rack coming out in back of a truck this weekend though, from open access nf lands. So they are not only in limited access draw areas.
Oregon non resident tags are expensive but still easily purchasable https://myodfw.com/big-game-hunting/licensing-info

I remember going to Bend in the late 60's to visit my uncle. Nice little town with a friendly park we used to walk to and play with my cousins. GF and I took a motorcycle trip there a few years ago and I was amazed it was so huge. A coworker keeps talking about moving there and all he talks about are the golf courses and getting a house along the fairway. He just bought the same thing in Florida, house in a golf community.