Elk hunting in Oregon

rocknwell

Hello, I just moved to Oregon from South Dakota. I've been a member here for a while, but the last couple seasons have been slow for me. I am trying to figure out all the public land areas available to hunt in OR, but it's extremely confusing! I have a couple specific questions:

1. Are all the state and national forests open to public hunting?

2. Are there any maps that detail other public lands (walk-in areas, BLM, school, wildlife refuges, Army Corps, etc)?

I just bought an elk tag for 1st season Coast elk. Would anyone be willing to help a brother out with getting started? I've hunted for several years in SD, but OR is an entirely different animal! I am looking for a mentor out here in regards to learning the land, learning the logistics of Oregon hunting (SD was WAY easier to navigate regs, public hunting land, and game hunting options), and any tips/tricks for the land, weather, and animals in this part of the country. I'm not looking for you to tell me your secret spot. I'm looking for someone to help point me in the right direction, and maybe even be a hunting partner. Thank you!

PS: I live in Beaverton, so if you're close by, maybe we can meet and talk all things hunting. I'm a sponge!

Micah Rockwell

1. Are all the state and national forests open to public hunting?

2. Are there any maps that detail other public lands (walk-in areas, BLM, school, wildlife refuges, Army Corps, etc)?

1) yes as long as you have a tag for the area.

2) Check this link: ODFW Hunting Access Map

What season is your elk tag? First or second season? Is it a controlled hunt tag or general season?

Buy the Oregon GPS on X maps gives you detailed maps for your gps. Private and public land, very easy to navigate and the map will tell you what hunt unit you are in. I believe they are 100 bucks but very worth it. Than just get out there and go for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.