Thoughts on Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 for a hunting rifle?

FlyingScot

Currently awaiting the arrival of a .300 wm Havak PH2 that was too good a deal to pass up, and while my initial thought was to save some money and repurpose an older 6-24x50 gen 1 Viper PST that I had in the safe, it's not a scope I particularly love, and I find myself wanting to give an FFP optic a try. Would something like a 4.5-27x50 Ares be something the hive mind here would consider for a longer range hunting optic, or are there better options in the at-or-just-under $1k price range? Probably stick with the MOA version since the V4 Zeiss on my 6.5cm Tikka is in minutes as well, although not quite sure what the appreciable difference between the APLR3 and APLR4 reticles are except for the floating dot or crosshair.

Currently awaiting the arrival of a .300 wm Havak PH2 that was too good a deal to pass up, and while my initial thought was to save some money and repurpose an older 6-24x50 gen 1 Viper PST that I had in the safe, it's not a scope I particularly love, and I find myself wanting to give an FFP optic a try. Would something like a 4.5-27x50 Ares be something the hive mind here would consider for a longer range hunting optic, or are there better options in the at-or-just-under $1k price range? Probably stick with the MOA version since the V4 Zeiss on my 6.5cm Tikka is in minutes as well, although not quite sure what the appreciable difference between the APLR3 and APLR4 reticles are except for the floating dot or crosshair.
I have 2 of them, and they are OK. They look good they function well, and they are pretty durable, but the glass is really lacking. I think there is better glass out there for that price range. Now, I'll come out of left field here, have you looked at Riton? They will surprise you.

I had one of my athlon ares out last week playing with it on a coyote hunt, and anything after about 16x and it is difficult to see. It starts to cloud. At max magnification it is almost useless.

I had one of my athlon ares out last week playing with it on a coyote hunt, and anything after about 16x and it is difficult to see. It starts to cloud. At max magnification it is almost useless.
I have a Athlon 4.5 x 27 gen 2 I dont see any problems with the glass all of the reviews are pretty dang positive you would have to move up to a 1500 dollar scope in the athlon to beat it that being said My Meopta 6 3x18 x50 with the Diacro reticle ffp is my choice of scopes now the have other reticle offeringsof your preference European made not Chinese I'll probally not by any Chinese made scope from here forward Japanese or European or USA from here on

Well this was a bit of a surprise, the few reviews of the Gen 2 I've been able to find seem to be favorable, especially with the quality of the glass for the price point, but not a lot of love for them on here.

I did like the Meopta line (from price, specs and company standpoints). Not familiar with Riton, will have to take a look.

Last edited:
I got the Ares BTR gen 2 4.5-27x50 and have to say I'm disappointed. The glass is okay, but my main issue is how ridiculously tight the eye box is it is not something that is easy to settle behind even at low magnification it is very easy to leave the eye box and see black edges. I also notice that the glass is significantly less clear at magnifications over 15 by less clear I mean it is difficult to make out details even from nearby. I was sad to have this experience since I figured for the cost the scope would have better clarity and be easier to get focused quickly without the struggle of trying to find the perfect eye alignment behind the scope.