Thoughts for long LOP stocks?

Gwynblade

Wanted to consult the hive mind so to speak to get some ideas here. Mainly for the stock I'll want to put on the big long distance rifle I'll be building soon, but also to get some proper stocks on my other rifles eventually 😂.

Anyways, issue for me being I'm a bit of a giant at 6'8, I've got a 17.5" LOP. Pretty much means no factory stock I've ever held is remotely close to the right LOP for me, so wanted to get some ideas if anyone here as expierence with long LOP stocks. Doesn't really need to be tactical or chassis style, as it's gonna be on a rifle I hunt with, but if I have to go that route to get the right LOP then so be it. Thanks in advance

Contact manners stocks they may be able to help you out. They make some of the best stocks on the market. I think the owner of the company is on here

I think you are on track with chassis being the key to versatility. My MPA chassis had a ton of adjustments for LOP and comb height, both of which locked up solid. Any of the chassis that have an AR stock adapter, and a compatible set of their own stocks like XLR or MDT will allow you to max out your LOP. If they have a folding stock adapter, that can also add another inch not to mention a little extra functionality.

I feel for you. There are a number of advantages for very tall people, options for rifle stocks is not one of them. I'm fortunate in that 13.5" works really well for me. Good luck in your search. I had a great friend that was 6'8". He ended up either suffering with bad fitting guns or paying the price of custom stocks or adding spacers.

Good thought on manners stocks, definitely will reach out to them! Seems most likely I'll be needing to go a custom or spacer route in any case, if not both. RIP to the wallet, but well worth to make sure a lifetime rifle is exactly what one wants it to be

I seem to remember some rifle manufacturers have stocks that the LOP is adjustable from the factory, maybe savage? Those stocks you add or subtract pieces to the end of the butt. Maybe you can buy a less expensive stock from them and add your action & barrel?

On a stock with that much lop are you able to get a good scope view? Any standard stock with an adjustable butt plate from the after market should be able to fit you. Some even have recoil absorption to a point.

Pendelton custom stocks has lots of different styles and will build the LOP that you want. My son had one done @ 15& 3/4" and Iv'e had several done . I build my hunting stocks 1/4" shorter than the ones I use for both hunting and shooting off the bench, just works better for me.

Our TR-2 buttstock has a 12-15 inch LOP range and then you could add the folding adapter which will add another 1.5 inches. The issue with having a LOP that long though is you start to run into scope shadow issues. It might feel correct with your arm reaching the trigger but if you have to stretch/strain your neck to see through the scope then it would probably be more beneficial to run a shorter LOP. Personally I measure around 14-14 1/4 but I run all my rifles at a 13 1/2 just to make sure I can always get in a comfortable position with proper eye relief. If you haven't shot a rifle with even a 15 inch LOP I would make some kind of spacer on your rifle right now before you go full send on a custom manners and then wait a year just for it to be too long. That is the nice part about the chassis too is down the road if you find that you want to shorten up the LOP it is as easy as 3 screws and you can do so!

Our TR-2 buttstock has a 12-15 inch LOP range and then you could add the folding adapter which will add another 1.5 inches. The issue with having a LOP that long though is you start to run into scope shadow issues. It might feel correct with your arm reaching the trigger but if you have to stretch/strain your neck to see through the scope then it would probably be more beneficial to run a shorter LOP. Personally I measure around 14-14 1/4 but I run all my rifles at a 13 1/2 just to make sure I can always get in a comfortable position with proper eye relief. If you haven't shot a rifle with even a 15 inch LOP I would make some kind of spacer on your rifle right now before you go full send on a custom manners and then wait a year just for it to be too long. That is the nice part about the chassis too is down the road if you find that you want to shorten up the LOP it is as easy as 3 screws and you can do so!
If the eye box is too far away, you could mount a one-piece cantilever rings backwards to extend over the bolt.

That would possibly place the objective area over the action and require it be mounted taller by a good amount. Not sure there is a cantilever mount with that much offset.

That would possibly place the objective area over the action and require it be mounted taller by a good amount. Not sure there is a cantilever mount with that much offset.
I've seen some low and long cantilever rings. Can't remember the manufacturer. Maybe not perfect, but even an inch closer would help a long LOP eye box.

With a 15 1/2" LOP…

Both Manners and McMillan have adjustable inserts to get you where you need..

You will have to buy extra inserts, as well as extra long 10-32 screws to get you up to a 17 1/2" LOP

I think you can order a stock that is maxxed out in length, and start adding the inserts from there
857FB910-DB97-4384-ACAB-07CBA2F3C5E5.jpeg