This will make some people smile!

45-70cannon

Hog hunting in New York got interesting this past week. My partner and I hunt a preserve in New York every year and we just got back Tuesday afternoon. Massachusetts has a small number of hogs, very small and we wouldn't know they are even there except that one got hit by a car on a local highway last year. Now then, while hunting our favorite preserve Colbrook Hunting Preserve, a hunter brought in a wild hog, shot just a bit South of Syracuse. It was a sow, weighing in at 225 lbs. and it had a litter of piglets it was nursing. The hunter caught all but one of the piglets and come to find out, there are quite a few more wild swine there as well.
Some believe they are spreading up from the South and some think they got loose from the preserves, either way, they are wild and breeding like, like, well, like swine do!

I blasted my year's pork with a 180 gr. HP fired from a Ruger GP-100 357 magnum revolver at twenty yards, right in the head, just below the ear and made mashed potatoes out of everything ol pork chops was thinkin' about.

Next year we'll go back and I think it will be either a longbow hunt or a flintlock hunt.

Makes us hunters smile, but I bet the DEC is cringing at their desks!
When I spoke with a couple guys from DEC about hogs, they are under the impression that there's VERY few in state...I'm thinking that's not so much the case anymore...
If you're finding them near Syracuse, and they're in MA, I'm betting there's a heck of a lot more than anyone is aware of...
MY rule of thumb is that if you're seeing one or two, there's at least 10 more behind them you can't see...
Would love a shot at them myself....were they on public lands?\

Yes. The one that was shot just South of Syracuse was on a mountain top and I can find out where if I call my buddy Dave that runs ColdBrook Preserve. He knew the fellow that shot the pig.
The one that was hit by the car was hanging around the Oxbow area of the town of Shirley, MA. The Oxbow is all water and swamp, hell ofa place for them to be and a nice area for deer and moose too.

I'd be huntin hogs every waking moment if I knew where to find them...
I hafta keep it to public lands or places where it doesn't cost money to hunt, other than basic travel...
The joys of working for hourly wages...I miss being self employed!
Anyone in the neighborhood that want some company hunting hogs or yotes?
I'm most always game!

Call David Perry at Cold Brook Preserve, or just go out and see him on ColdBrrok Road off Rte 281 South on the Preble/Homer line. The hog may still be hanging, as it was a bit frozen and he was waiting for it to thaw before skinning it out and packaging it for the hunter.
If ya want I can pass on dave's cell phone and you can call him directly.

Most of the northeast & midwest does not have resident hog populations worth mentioning. When a pig gets lose they are difficult to catch & often remain free, but there are (to my knowledge) no herds of hogs in the northeast or midwest that compare with what's happening in Texas and parts of many southern states. in those regions there can be 200 wild hogs on one farm, and those hogs can destroy anything growing there. Wish I lived in a hog problem area!

Unless your northeastern hogs have wings, they didn't emigrate up that way from more established populations in the south. Hogs found in New York, Massachusetts or Michigan either escaped from fenced preserves or farms, or were intentionally released.

We have feral hogs in Missouri. Their distribution is patchy. When feral hogs showed up in the northeat part of the state, it wasn't because they migrated north from the Ozarks but failed to colonize any counties in between. They were intentionally turned loose by someone.

Natty Bumpo said:
Unless your northeastern hogs have wings, they didn't emigrate up that way from more established populations in the south. Hogs found in New York, Massachusetts or Michigan either escaped from fenced preserves or farms, or were intentionally released.

We have feral hogs in Missouri. Their distribution is patchy. When feral hogs showed up in the northeat part of the state, it wasn't because they migrated north from the Ozarks but failed to colonize any counties in between. They were intentionally turned loose by someone.

Thank good ole pigs smell funny(psf) and Christiansens for that, where at in NEMO are you at?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.