This non-hunter was hoping for advice

repanzer

Personally, I do not hunt, but my father would do so, much, much more, if we did not live in New Jersey (not his choice). Over the years, he buys guns, loves them, and never gets the chance to use them, usually because of finances. Now because of the ecomony, he is down to his last couple rifles. Even though hunting is not my thing, my father is getting up there in age, and won't be around forever. I would like to take him while I still have the chance. The thing with him is, because of a mind set that witnessed the great depression, even if he could afford it, but thought something was just to expensive, regardless of what he truly wants, he would never do it. Through the blood, sweat, and tears he provided for his family, I can afford to take him, but as soon as he heard what I paid, he'd get upset and most likely not enjoy himself, but I don't want that to stop him from doing what he loves, at least once, before he dies.

I asked him recently if he had the choice to hunt anywhere, where would that be. He said varmit hunting, prairie dogs specifcly, in Wyoming. As soon as I mentioned it, he started check listing all the expensives, before I even asked (plane ticket, car rental, hotel, etc, etc). He also mentioned you'd have to find someone with a ranch to allow you to hunt.

That's what I'm here for. I started looking for ranchs to varmit hunt on, but they all seem commercial, not private, while where I can afford it for him and myself, all he would think about is the money it costs. I'm wondering if there is anyway to get in touch with someone with a private ranch or land that would allow us to pay to hunt on? Is there a website, phone number, etc; any info would be greatly appreciated. Any other advice on following through with this, no matter how small because I'm that lost, is also greatly appreciated.

PS: While I do not hunt, I am 1000% behind the second amendment, the one that guarnettes the rest of them.

There are lots of folks here on LRH from Wyoming and I'm sure they will chime in with either an offer or suggestion. My hats off to you for trying to do this for your Dad. When confronted with a family member who has a hissy fit when I do or get something they think is to expensive I'll tell you what I do. I fib a little and let them think it was less expensive. Some might have a problem with this approach and I respect that but IMHO given the chance to take Dad on a once in a lifetime hunt before it's too late qualifies for a little fibbing. Best of luck, let us know how you make out.

I think I can help you out. If by varmint hunting you mean prairie dogs. I have a place where they are pretty endless. There are coyotes and fox and badgers around but the dogs are what I am guessing you are after. my email is [email protected] and I can give you some good pointers to do this for your dad as economically as possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.