This is my backup bear gun, change my mind.

What would it take to change my backup gun

• Legitimate discovery of Sasquatch

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • More opportunities/time to train with other firearms

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • A more powerful cartridge that fires from one of my existing platforms

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I won't change

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • Lighter gun

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • Changing hunting areas to a place where bears are larger

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 10.6%

• Total voters
It is important to make the fight up close. Most will get spooked and start shooting too soon & too far away and run low or OUT of ammo and need to reload........then YOU're dead....wait for the fight.
454 Casull 330gr or 360gr .....if it don't bleed to death, it'll die of lead poisoning!

Around here there are only very few black bears, my 10mm Glock is plenty.

If I went to Alaska and thought I had a good chance of running in to a Polar bear or Grizzly, I would probably buy a 500 S&W. If I was up there and thought the chances were low, it would be a game time decision between my Glock and my .475 Linebaugh BFR.

When hunting anything up here in Alaska with a bow, I carry a S&W 44 mag. revolver (model #329PD). It is made out of a scandium alloy & titanium cylinder & weighs 25 oz without bullets (+5 oz).

As del2les mentioned earlier, some magnum loads are susceptible to bullet slippage - especially in this light gun. Because of this, I do not shoot +P or +P+ ammo. Instead, I shoot Underwood 220 grain Xtreme Penetrators (Good call on Sanford338 in his 10mm).

When hunting with a rifle (300 WSM), I typically do not carry additional weapons. When backpacking, hiking, & fishing - I usually carry either the 44 above or bear spray.

I carry my Sig P-220 when I am out and about. Will a 45ACP do the job I will be asking of it? who knows.

My best chance at bear defense is to keep myself out of a bad situation all together.

If I make a mistake, then the P-220 and I will do our best.

I have never understood the idea of ultra light revolvers for backup guns. They don't seem to work well for 357 Magnum carry guns. Scaling it up to 44 Magnum sounds like it would work worse.

If a bear is charging me, I want to get off at least 2-3 accurate shots before the bear is on me. If it's going to be a powerful recoiling round, I want a heavy gun to soak up some of that recoil and help me avoid flinching.

Depends on the kind of bears. Black bears are easy to bring down. So a heavy pistol round like a 10mm would be good. If we are talking about brown bears then just about any pistol is just going to **** them off.If it's brown bears I am going with bear spray.

🤣🤣🤣

Sorry, but that's about the most back-a$$ward thing I've ever herd anybody say.

For a black bear you want to carry a firearm but for a more aggressive/deadly animal you want to carry a spray can of bear spice? Now that's an interesting way of looking at things.

When hunting anything up here in Alaska with a bow, I carry a S&W 44 mag. revolver (model #329PD). It is made out of a scandium alloy & titanium cylinder & weighs 25 oz without bullets (+5 oz).

As del2les mentioned earlier, some magnum loads are susceptible to bullet slippage - especially in this light gun. Because of this, I do not shoot +P or +P+ ammo. Instead, I shoot Underwood 220 grain Xtreme Penetrators (Good call on Sanford338 in his 10mm).

When hunting with a rifle (300 WSM), I typically do not carry additional weapons. When backpacking, hiking, & fishing - I usually carry either the 44 above or bear spray.
Can't argue with a guy from my home town.

I had an eye opening experience yesterday, I decided to shoot my glock 22 in 40 s&w I carry here in California more for people protection than bear. My first shot the round had no powder only the primer went off and the second same thing. Makes me second guess Barnes ammo. I shot the rest of the box without a problem but those first 2 would have been the ones I would have needed. We have a lot of illegal marijuana grows here and things could get western really fast. Hope I never end up in a situation like that but it's a possibility here.

Agreed.. my G20 10mm loaded with Underwood ammunition.. 15+1
This too is my first choice for a woods defense gun. Mine carries a 6" custom barrel. I have a +5 magazine extension on my mags also offering 20+1. Not that it's needed but I never heard anyone say "I wish I had 5 less rounds"! I'm working with a new G40 in 10mm currently. Deciding if I want the MOS optic or not. I prefer the 220 hardcast Underwood for quadroped defense. Shot a hog boar in the chest facing me and the bullet exited in the rear ham under his tail. Nothing stops those hardcast bullets.

For me, the BlackHawk 41 Mag has been my sidearm to my 45-70, 375 H&H, 338 W/M for bears. I now have a 444 Marlin lever guns; I am not sure what to say anymore. I have not been in Grizz country in over 15 years. If I went back, I would consider building a 45 Super upper for my Para-Ordnance P.14-45 to approximate a 44 mag or a 45 Colt BlackHawk load. I would have 14 to 17 rounds of 230 grain truncated cone hard cast or full metal jacketed. I have always been "security" with my big guns for the guy gutting the Elk or Moose, or Deer in Grizz country. I had my big bore rifle at the ready and kept watch until the cutting and gutting were done and we were done packing it up. but that is a unique situation. if you are alone then you need a good revolver or big bore hand cannon to fend off big Browns. I am flexible.. I can shoot many guns.. only a few are enough for the Big highland Browns and blacks we have in the US.

If I were able to vote (not sure why I can't), I would vote for "I won't change" and "Other."

The only thing that would move me off of my Freedom Arms 454 would be a 454 (or 460/500) in a double action.

This too is my first choice for a woods defense gun. Mine carries a 6" custom barrel. I have a +5 magazine extension on my mags also offering 20+1. Not that it's needed but I never heard anyone say "I wish I had 5 less rounds"! I'm working with a new G40 in 10mm currently. Deciding if I want the MOS optic or not. I prefer the 220 hardcast Underwood for quadroped defense. Shot a hog boar in the chest facing me and the bullet exited in the rear ham under his tail. Nothing stops those hardcast bullets.
What made you put a 6" barrel in the 20? And is the 40 a toy or a replacement for the 20?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.