Thinking of buying a lathe, how hard is it to chamber a rifle?

Buy a lathe.... you won't know how you got along without one.
I have an old SB heavy 10" in the basement.(sno belt)...
Cast frame....better than most foreign at 3x price...
If your a good mechanic all ready there is a mind boggoling stuff on youtube....
Practice cutting threads on a dummy shaft....
very cost saving rewarding hobby..

Correct me if I have this wrong but, wasn't he asking how hard it is to learn to chamber a barrel, not how much it cost. If he is like me (I feel sorry for him) it is the adventure of learning something new. The cost is just part of the process. I have been thinking of getting a mill and a lathe although I have no real use for one or clue how to use one. It is merely for making something myself....and then abandon the whole thing to the corner of the shop next to al the other tools I bought but didn't need.
I bought a mill from Grizzly a couple of years ago, not for gunsmithing or even because I "needed" one but because I thought it would be useful to do things which I hadn't even thought of yet. It turns out it's been useful for a wide range of things, and I've been glad I made the leap. At the same time, it's absolutely true that the mill was the first of many purchases, followed by a lot of different tooling. But, the adventure of learning new skills and the practicality of having a tool to do things that would otherwise be difficult, has made it very worthwhile for me. I keep looking at lathes too, not for specific gunsmithing purposes but rather for those ad-hoc turning needs that come up, but so far I've had enough self-discipline to resist.

I bought a 1340 GT from Precision Mathews a few years ago. Just finished my second build. Wanted to learn the machines and do things for myself. 6 dasher 5 shots 100 yards still playing with seating depth
. BD36FBA5-1423-4EB7-8E83-644C665305DB.jpegF09595BC-21A3-432B-B70D-35BC371F7F8E.jpeg
Little deeper seating
3B9EA69C-1071-4370-B38A-4DC6E86BEC1A.jpeg

Last edited:
You know there are a lot of Gunsmith's that think everyone but themselves are hacks the truth is if you have good hand eye coordination and are good at figuring things out anyone can chamber an accurate rifle there will be a learning curve of course but in today's world there are so many place to look for knowledge about what ever you are doing there are Sommer courses if you don't want to go to school for a few years everyone has to start somewhere do you think the best gunsmiths we're great from the start I doubt it but what they had was the desire to learn and are willing to do what ever it takes to do nothing but outstanding work Gunsmithing is always changing not sure about other smiths but I read and investigate as much as I can to find better ways of doing things just don't get the attitude that you know everything because I'm sure the top smiths are always learning and experimenting to do a better job