The PRC die "problem"

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the chamber is too tight for the brass? Sorry I just now am learning about this issue.

You can only make a die so small and it can only do so much. A push through die or ring die like above is an option for cases that have enough difference between the web and chamber but its not the solution here. It will take a handful of firings to start having issues and you may never have issues if the chamber was cut sloppy to begin with.

Last edited:
Once had a custom resizing die manufacturer warn me about a wildcat cartridge I chambering. He wanted to ensure that my chamber reamer manufacturer allowed sufficient clearance relative to the parent case web diameter when specing and manufacturing my finish chamber reamer.
This is the potential problem the resizing die manufacturer described. A problem his resizing die wouldn't be able to correct.

So ultimately in this situation, all with chambered rifles need to modify a die to get the brass sized down enough at the .200 mark and people with plans to build one need to spec out their chamber/reamer to account for this issue??
Sounds like 2 ways to "skin a cat" sorta deal but a reamer in a fired chamber is probably not the best option for most.

Is there a ballpark firing number people are seeing clickers on? I assume has a lot to do with how hard they are pushing it?

.... ok, I'll just mentally plan on trashing my 2$ brass at 4 firings as a short term solution
Yeah and the prc brass is HARD to find on top of price.....I was going to start on some new brass but with this issue, how hard it is to find, expensive and just reloading supplies in general hard to find and expensive, I'm just not going to shoot too much.

Yes, once a harder case expands its harder to size. 7 saum is a good example, ADG is small on the case head, so plenty of difference between the chamber and web but standard dies struggle to size it.
Another one many struggle with is the 338 Lapua/300 Norma case.
I am familiar with the the SAUM and the .338 Lapua, I just haven't jumped on the PRC bandwagon, yet. I don't buy a reamer until I have a job for it.

So ultimately in this situation, all with chambered rifles need to modify a die to get the brass sized down enough at the .200 mark and people with plans to build one need to spec out their chamber/reamer to account for this issue??
Sounds like 2 ways to "skin a cat" sorta deal but a reamer in a fired chamber is probably not the best option for most.
Normally the dies are not small enough to properly size the case at the base. We deal with this all the time on almost every case. However in this case the chamber is also too tight to ever work properly long term, no matter how small the die is.

Recent Posts