The Perfect Long Rifle

What Caliber

• Total voters

jhendri2

Ok, I know this doesn't exist, but I want us to try. I think through the 6 billion years of combined experience on this board we can come up with a "perfect" rifle.

The rules of this are 1. Don't complain if your vote isn't accepted. I will have Dave delete this if it turns into a flame war and 2. Explain why you voted for what. This will help other members decide and may get more votes for our choice.

The first thing we need to decide is what caliber. Obviously I'm voting for the Lapua. I love this round for its accuracy and ballistics. I believe it combines the best of the two thing LRH search for the most.

If you don't see an obvious caliber, let me know and I'll edit the poll (if I can).

Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!!!

On Saturday, I'll post the action poll.

Jim

I can't edit the poll, so I'll count the no listed calibers when you post them. I know alot are missing, such as the 6.5-284 and 338/416 Imp. So don't feel bad about your favorite being left out.

Jim

I'm a .338 fan, I believe it offers the best combination of killing power, retained energy, ballistics, and accuracy.

Any of the high capacity 338's will work, I voted for the 338 Ultra Mag as I think it's likely to be the commercial success of the ones listed.

are we talking long rifle or long range rifle in my view they are different

I go for the 7mm STW you can shoot it in a 10lbs rifle easy without a Muzzle brake and it bucks the wind just as good as the big .30's and .338's without the recoil. I also like how it retains energy at 1000+ yards.

I voted 300 win mag good ballistics, power, bullet selection, manageable rifle weight and recoil with or without a brake, not to expensive to load for, its popular reloading supplies always in stock, and not to little or to much for most situations.

I love my .300rum. I think it offers the best all around performance. But I think depending on your region the either the 7stw, 300rum, or 338lapua/edge, are the best in the world.

I voted for the 338 RUM, it packs more energy than any of the smaller calibers to pretty much any distance, doesn't burn barrels as fast as the 300 RUM, doesn't cost as much to reload as the Lapua, comes very close to the Lapua in velocity & in a properly built rifle with a good break, kicks about like an '06. I don't mind packin ear plugs when I hunt, at most extended ranges you have plenty of time to get'em in before you take the shot IMO.

I voted for the 7rum. Just because it is as close to one I would chose. The 7Allen mag. or 284 Jazz would be my choice. High BC 189's and 200's available, excellent brass, and flat out performs! They can reach way way out there.

I am a fan of the 7mm's because of the High BC bullets available. I also have a friend who has many trips under his belt to New Zealand, Africa, and several other places. He has harvested alot of game in his life all over the world with a 7 rem mag.

Brent

I will take the -06 if parameters are not specified.

There is a bountious land and many sized critters, so for 99% of the time, the -06 would be more than up to the task, and ammo is plentiful. Ground Hogs to Moose if need be.

There are others on the list, in fact most that would be acceptable.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.