The perennial 30-06-a better mousetrap

I hate Alliant powders, and think they're only good using to fire-form Ackley brass.

That's seriously all I use Alliant powders for these days. :D

7828 SSC is where it's at for me. Works in every caliber from .25-06 AI up to .300 Ackley and gets me good results. For anything smaller than a .25-06 AI, I use Varget.
To each their own with powder. I use more Alliant than any other make, as I've gotten better speed with less pressure than similar burn rate single base powders. The "problem" with Alliant powders is you can't horse your rifle above normal pressure range as it will gain a couple of percent in pressure in high temps. That also takes using it out of contention for using with squirrely bullets that have pronounced accuracy nodes as you may fall off the node at some temperature. Watch your p's and q's a bit and Alliant is one of the best on the market. :)

I've had failures with Sierra bullets in the 06, 165 grain would not penetrate the shoulder of a doe. My brother-in-law did skin damage to an elk with 180grain Sierras and 300 WM. Followed a blood trail drop at a time all day.

I don't personnally know anyone who still uses SIerra bullets for big game. I think they are great Varmint Bullets though.

I've had failures with Sierra bullets in the 06, 165 grain would not penetrate the shoulder of a doe. My brother-in-law did skin damage to an elk with 180grain Sierras and 300 WM. Followed a blood trail drop at a time all day.

I don't personnally know anyone who still uses SIerra bullets for big game. I think they are great Varmint Bullets though.
Sierra 140 and 150 grain bullets hold up well in big 7mm's from the 50+ kills I've seen with them, and we are driving them from stw's and rum's. Often it is hitting one of the heavy bones with a bullet that hasn't slowed down yet that'll cause a bullet to break up. I've never worked with sierra that much in 30 cal. as hornady has always shot in my 30's so well, but my dad and brother have used them and I help a buddy load who uses 150 pro hunters in a '06 and we've had no failures.
I think any cup and core pill can fail though if you stress it enough. Premium bullets come into play if you are going to hit something up close at high speed where the vel. hasn't fallen off yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.