the magnums:short/long

BIGMEAT

i'm still kinda new here and this has probably been discussed before...
the short action mags sure are popular, but are they all that much better than regular mags. i'm basically talking about the 7wsm and 300wsm or the saum's of the same caliber. i'm looking to get a long range gun, and i already have a 7mag (not long range) and lots of brass and supllies. is it worth buying or building a 7wsm in a long range configuration, or will it be fine to get a "regular" 7mag. i got my eye on a savage 112vbss in the "regular" 7mag, but i'm just not sure what to do. maybe i am too practical and should start over with something totally different.

.. As far as I could tell there's not that big as difference till ya get to the large for caliber bullets (7Mag vs. 7WSM).. And then it's really not enough to worry over.. I think around 100fps.. Whoop-t-doo
rolleyes.gif
.. Pick what ya like the looks of and have at it..
.. Lots of good practice with what's in hand will probably beat a new cartridge anyhow..
.. But hey, pick your own fun..!! I seem to have as much fun conjuring rifles as shooting them..!! d:^) JiNC

part of the argument for short mags are the short more rigid actions and the non belted case and on avg. they burn about 7% less powder to do the same job. But you'll have problems loading the larger bullets in the short case.

Trade offs!
grin.gif

My oppinion of the Savage guns are good , the actions are stronger than the rem700 and are easier to get to shoot. If that gun is a good price jump on it !! , after you get bored with the 7mag you can rebarrel it for about $250.

I know a guy that is a die hard Rem 7 mag fan
he uses his for everything from Elk to Praire dogs. The short mags are a little more effecient but you can still get great accuracy from the long mags.

I think the short mags give you two advantages.
First, efficiency. With a short mag they will perform as well as a bigger magnum with less powder.
Second, a tendency toward better accuracy. Pretty much any cartridge can be made accurate, but the short mags tend to be inherently more accurate. Whether it is because of shorter, stiffer actions, the overall efficiency causes less of a velocity spread or that a shorter case can tend to deal with headspace better, it is all debatable.

The issue with larger bullets is due to short actions. To get them to fit in the magazine you end up seating them very deep. If you choose to single feed and seat to the lands with most factory barrels you can shoot big bullets.

If you do go WSM, get a savage in WSM. Their WSM actions utilize controlled round push feed, and a standing ejector rather than a plunger.
Overall, superior to any other for this cartridge,including any customs that I know of. IMHO

In order to rebarrel the Savage you would need to get a short mag bolt head ($35) and a barrel($250) , the savages use a jam nut to set the head space so you use a head space guage or a FL resized case and put it in the chamber and close the bolt , screw the barrel down till it hits the guagethen run the lock nut down to the action and tighten it.
You may have to modify the mag lips , not sure with an already existing mag ,

With any other guns you'll need to send it off to a smith and have the barrel installed and headspace set.

In my test you give up 250 to 300 fps with the short mags if you load to the same preasure in each.

I have loads for the 7mm RSAUM w/150 gr @2975 and load for the 7mm Rem Mag w/150 @3300 fps.

Both factory Remingtons but the 7mm Rem Mag is a Sendero with 26" barrel so it has a 2" barrel advantage.

Both rifles shot well enough to do anything I want to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.