Thanks for the help

ven

Regarding my last post rifle shooting to the left.

Took in all the advice and spent the day setting up my scope straight.
Went to the range this afternoon lovely shooting conditions not a breath of wind very rare for this part of the world.
Anyway firstly zeroed at 100 only a few clicks out then decided to dive in at the deep end and go straight for the 500.
To my delight my first shot hit dead centre the next an inch to the left of the first.
So now i go to the 350 and fire 3 shots letting the barrel cool between shots they impact half an inch left of my aimpoint and within 3/4 of an inch of each other.

Back to the 500 and a 3 shot group went in nicely 1.25 inch spread and 3/4 inch left of my point of aim.

So am back in buisness .Am still a tiny bit left i think but i dont think i can do much better than that .
Would you all consider that acceptable perfomance from your rifles got lucky with my groups today .
Would you all consider 3/4 of an inch left at 500 yards acceptable .Thanks.

Glad to hear that you got it all sorted out. Sounds like some pretty good shooting. As far as the 3/4" left was it windy or breezy out? Could be a possibility. 3/4" isnt very much at 500 yds, 1/2" @ 350 isnt very much either. Still works out to be a direct hit everytime, if you've gone through all the steps it is most likely a little wind drift. Just have to verify next time shooting.

I would consider it either perfect or 1/4 moa to the left. I'd zero the reticles and shoot it as is for the next few months. Every time you shoot, decide if you are always left a tad, and how 1 click to the right would have affected your hits.

I'll tell you, deciding that last click left/right is the hardest thing I always have to do at long distance, because we so rarely shoot in a true windless condition.

1/4 MOA at 500yds is only 1.25", so you are likely as close as you can get unless your scope has 1/10 clicks (which add a whole bunch of other problems that you really don't want to deal with).

AJ

Glad to hear you got it all straightened out. Did you find that your reticle wasn't level with the raceways, or was it some other problem?

Used a plumb line to see if the reticule was striaght it was off by quite a bit.

So all ready to go now need to load more bullets though fired a load off for practice yesterday.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.